cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabled Dropbox Backup (basic) when downloading the windows app - it messed up all my local files

Enabled Dropbox Backup (basic) when downloading the windows app - it messed up all my local files

rajeevmprasad
Explorer | Level 3

Extremely worried. I am working on a project with some team members and we decided to use Dropbox as the shared folder for our resources. I downloaded the windows desktop app to access those files from my computer. While it was installing, it had an option to backup my computer onto Dropbox. I thought, why not - especially because it gave a notification that it would NOT change or alter anything locally. 

However, now main Desktop folder and Documents folder - the two folders that contain almost EVERYTHING I have - are not in the same place, or accessible off of Dropbox. I tried to uninstall the dropbox windows app and it made those files COMPLETELY inaccessible. I re-downloaded it and they've shown up in a different place, but now I'm worried the windows app / backup have removed or misplaced things locally. How do I get my computer back to how it was before Dropbox messed the file locations up? 

7 Replies 7

How to get folders back in original location after backup?

rajeevmprasad
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I'm incredibly worried and VERY angry at Dropbox's product right now. 

I just downloaded dropbox's desktop app (windows, basic edition) to use it as a shared folder for a group project. The installation offered to backup my computer, stating that all folders and files would remain in the same place locally, but also be backed up to Dropbox. Thought it might be a good idea so I hit ok. 

However, now my Desktop and Documents folders - the two folders that contain almost everything I have - are no longer in the same place on my computer, and can't be accessed unless through Dropbox. I tried to uninstall and re-install the desktop app, and now it's not even registering that it's doing the backup for me to turn off the sync. When I try to access those files locally - instead of through the dropbox app - I get an error message. 

This is absolutely insane, I'm so shocked at how awfully Dropbox has done this and I don't know how to get my files back locally. They should not have a message that says "nothing on your computer will be moved if you select this option" if they literally move around your two most important folders and put them in a different place. If someone can assist in solving this I would greatly appreciate it - this is all my work for both of my jobs and everything I've accumulated over the past 4 years owning this laptop and I'm EXTREMELY worried. Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate it. 

Folders no longer showing up locally after backing up desktop through Desktop app

rajeevmprasad
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

Thank you in advance for reading - extremely worried/livid at Dropbox's app right and any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I just downloaded Dropbox's desktop app (windows, basic edition) to use it as a shared folder for a group project. The installation offered to backup my computer, stating that all folders and files would remain in the same place locally, but also be backed up to Dropbox. Thought it might be a good idea so I hit ok. 

However, now my Desktop and Documents folders - the two folders that contain almost everything I have - are no longer in the same place on my computer, and can't be accessed unless through Dropbox. I tried to uninstall and re-install the desktop app, and now it's not even registering that it's doing the backup for me to turn off the sync. When I try to access those files locally - instead of through the dropbox app - I get an error message. 

This is absolutely insane, I'm so shocked at how awfully Dropbox has done this and I don't know how to get my files back locally. They should not have a message that says "nothing on your computer will be moved if you select this option" if they literally move around your two most important folders and put them in a different place. If someone can assist in solving this I would greatly appreciate it - this is all my work for both of my jobs and everything I've accumulated over the past 4 years owning this laptop and I'm EXTREMELY worried. Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate it. 

Desktop App backup re-arranged all files on local computer - how to rever to original locations?

rajeevmprasad
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

Thank you in advance for reading - any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I just downloaded Dropbox's desktop app (windows, basic edition) to use it as a shared folder for a group project. The installation offered to backup my computer, stating that all folders and files would remain in the same place locally, but also be backed up to Dropbox. Thought it might be a good idea so I hit ok. 

I went forward with the backup. However, after Desktop and Documents folders were backed up, they were relocated into the Dropbox folder through the app. They're no longer in the same place, and can't be accessed or moved unless through Dropbox. Furthermore, everything except for app shortcuts was completed removed from my desktop.  I tried to uninstall and re-install the desktop app, and now it's not even registering that it's doing the backup for me to turn off the sync. When I try to access those files locally - instead of through the dropbox app - I get an error message. 

If someone can assist in solving this I would greatly appreciate it - these two folders (Desktop & Documents) have almost everything I've accumulated the past four years, including work projects I am currently working on, and I really need them back in the original locations. Thanks in advance. 

Re: Enabled Dropbox Backup (basic) when downloading the windows app - it messed up all my local f...

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @rajeevmprasad, thanks for joining the Community.

I understand your frustration over this matter.

As it sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application, if you're missing any files on your account, could you first try checking on the Dropbox site to see if they can be recovered?

Have you tried searching your local machine for the Dropbox folder, to see if it can be located there?

Afterwards, you can try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using these steps to see if this helps.

Keep me updated with any progress.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Enabled Dropbox Backup (basic) when downloading the windows app - it messed up all my local f...

rajeevmprasad
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, 

Thanks for your response. To be clear - I am able to access my files through the Dropbox app and on the Desktop website. However, they have been completely relocated to be in the dropbox app exclusively, and are no longer in their original location on my computer. 

The instructions you sent me are not working. They do say how to "turn off" computer backup by going to the desktop app and clicking to "manage backups." However, when I do this, it's saying that I'm not currently backing anything up, even though that's not the case. 

rajeevmprasad
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, 

The original backup literally moved my Documents and Desktop folder. If I try to re-initiate a new backup, it says that there is no file where Documents and Desktop are supposed to be. This is what I'm worried about - that in the future, whenever trying to save a new program or anything, that they won't work because there's not going to be anything where Desktop and Documents are supposed to be. 

Jay
Dropboxer
If it has been disabled, you can try these steps, however, instead of fixing the hard links, you can choose the option to 'Reset OS folders locations'.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?