cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhance the Dropbox search functionality to make locating files easier

Enhance the Dropbox search functionality to make locating files easier

NBF
Helpful | Level 6

I would like to be able to locate my Dropbox files quickly. Adding the following features would make that possible:

1) Allow search by file (or folder) name alone

2) Allow search by file content alone

3) Make it possible to use quotes to perform exact searches when searching by name or content

Regarding (1) and (2), say I'm looking for all files with the word "Manhattan" in the file name. Currently the search returns 100+ results with the word "Manhattan" in the name or in the contents of the file. I have to browse a long list of results in order to find what I'm looking. Sometimes the list is so long, I just give up.

Regarding (3), when I search for "apartment rental", I get all files that have "apartment" or "rental" in the name or in the contents. (90+ files are returned although I have only one file with "apartment rental" in the name.) Another example: when I search for a file with the name "2019-10-11-18-40.pdf", I get all the files that have one or more of the individual tokens ("2019", "10", "11", "18", "40") in the name or contents (hopelessly too many files). Also if I'm trying to locate a files with "eyeglass" in the name, searching for "glass" won't find it.

Uploading files to Dropbox is easy; but we also need to be able to locate the files.

Thanks,

Neil 

2 Replies 2

Re: Enhance the Dropbox search functionality to make locating files easier

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @NBF, thanks for checking in with us and for taking the time to share your feedback on this. 

I just wanted to mention that you can check out this thread, as well as this one, where users also suggest a few changes on the search function. 

Check them out and let me know if you have any additional thoughts or comments. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Enhance the Dropbox search functionality to make locating files easier

NBF
Helpful | Level 6
Thanks. I voted for them. Search functionality is important and I feel Dropbox is dropping the ball on it. This voting mechanism just prolongs our collective aggravation.

Neil
Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?