cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entire Dropbox duplicated with ·_ preceding the duplicate; Needing to delete all the ·_ duplicates

Entire Dropbox duplicated with ·_ preceding the duplicate; Needing to delete all the ·_ duplicates

SB96
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I recently had my computor worked on and when I reconnected it to Dropbox all my files, in all Dropbox accounts I am involved with and linked to duplicated every file with ·_ preceding the duplicate. These duplicates are corrupted/do not open. How do I delete several thousand files at the same time, without needing to go through and delete one at a time?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@SB96 wrote:

... all my files, in all Dropbox accounts I am involved with and linked to duplicated every file with ·_ preceding the duplicate.

They're neither duplicate nor corrupt files. They're AppleDouble files, and they're created by a Mac when files are stored on a non-HFS drive partition. The Mac operating system uses them to store the resource fork of files stored on filesystems that don't natively support it.

Are you on a Mac? If so, you may not want to delete them just yet, at least not until you're certain how they were created and whether or not your OS needs them. The ._ files are usually hidden on a Mac as they're considered system files. On Windows they're visible and don't serve a purpose.

If you're on Windows, just search within your local Dropbox folder for ._ and delete them all.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@SB96 wrote:

... all my files, in all Dropbox accounts I am involved with and linked to duplicated every file with ·_ preceding the duplicate.

They're neither duplicate nor corrupt files. They're AppleDouble files, and they're created by a Mac when files are stored on a non-HFS drive partition. The Mac operating system uses them to store the resource fork of files stored on filesystems that don't natively support it.

Are you on a Mac? If so, you may not want to delete them just yet, at least not until you're certain how they were created and whether or not your OS needs them. The ._ files are usually hidden on a Mac as they're considered system files. On Windows they're visible and don't serve a purpose.

If you're on Windows, just search within your local Dropbox folder for ._ and delete them all.

SB96
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Rich! This is a Windows machine and it took some doing as it didn't seem that windows recognized my search for *·_* only coming up with a few files, like 70 some when we had multiple thousands. Downloaded another search tool and was able to bring 3,100+ files together, select and delete! All is well and thank you for the help

New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi
It’s frustrating & not good experience for an newcomer.
When I upload any file/folder into my dropbox it creates a copy of the original file (which is what I want) & another file with same name starting with symbols .-
When I click on the file starting by .- no file is opened.
How can I fix this annoying feature?

Thank you.
Antonio

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @24601, I moved your post under this related one.

You can take a look at the info provided by Rich above, to clarify the situation.

For context, these files are called AppleDouble files and more information on how to handle them can be found by searching for "apple double files" online.

Are you on a Mac computer? And where is your Dropbox folder currently stored?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Poeiabird
New member | Level 2

When I first uploaded files, Dropbox told me ._.DS._Store was an invisible file that I don't need and it wouldn't be uploaded. But not only does it upload that for each folder, it uploads an invisible file for every single document. If I upload a folder with 3 files called apple, banana, and pear, in Dropbox there are 7 documents:

._DS._Store

._apple

._banana

._pear

plus the 3 actual documents

They only use 4KB each but they make organizing things an unreadable mess. How do I get it to stop. Can I get rid of the ones that already uploaded?

I know ._.DS_Store is an invisible Mac file but I switched to PCs a couple of years ago. That may be a factor. Many of my documents haven't been opened since, but do need occasional access to them. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Poeiabird, thanks for joining us on the Dropbox Community.

I moved your post to this thread with a lot of info relevant to your query. 

Make sure to take a look and let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Poeiabird New member | Level 2
    24601 New member | Level 2
    SB96 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?