cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 404 accessing files that I recently shared.

Error 404 accessing files that I recently shared.

Explorer | Level 3

I have recently shared a file that i own and created with some friends and have emailed them the link from within dropbox and when they click on the link in the email or the blue button they receive a ' Error (404) we cant find the file you are looking'  error message.

The file hasnt moved or been deleted, it is a tiny excel spread sheet, so was wondering why they cant see it?

3 Replies 3

Re: Error 404 accessing files that I recently shared.

Dropboxer

Hey @bertibassett, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Can you try deleting the shared link and then creating a new one to see if that does the trick?

If the error persists, to replicate the link being opened by the recipients, can you try opening the link through an incognito window to see if you get the same error? Also, how about if you use another web browser (where you're not signed into Dropbox)?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Hi, i tried deleting the link as described, however there is no link there to delete. If I view the file through my folders and click share, I can see that I have shared it with 2 people.

I tried opening the file from a incognito window and I get the same error, and again same error using a different browser.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @bertibassett!

If you didn't create a shared link for the folder, did you send the URL from your browser's address bar to the recipients?

Since it sounds like you've shared the folder by adding their emails into the sharing window, it may be that they haven't yet added the shared folder to their accounts.

If they can't see this folder within the "All files" section of their accounts online, can you ask them to check their "Sharing" page to see if they can see the folder? From there they can choose to "Add" the folder to their accounts.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?