cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Daily Traffic exceeded, no Links shared

Error 429 - ticket closed - not sharing anything, still banned

helveticar
Explorer | Level 4

I know this has been asked before. The responses were:

1) "You might have shared something that violates some rules, like copyrighted content." Although all I ever shared was a few Word files or screenshots, I've un-shared everything a month ago, except for one example file (a one page Word file), checking if I was still banned.

2) "Bans run out after 24 or 72 hours, but get longer if you get banned again." First time I saw the 429 error I un-shared everything. That was a month ago. I was never unbanned thereafter. First ban lasting for over a month now.

3) "Your account might have been hacked." - I've changed email and password of my account. Also, I tracked activity and there's nothing (no upload, download, deletion, anything) in the history; it's easy to track since my account has become basically useless since it got banned 1 month ago and I'm just waiting for it to work again.

4) "Write a ticket." - I did. It got closed this morning, status set to "solved", but I'm still banned. I got no response at all, and no action on my account to get it unbanned; but I got an email from their Customer Service to rate their CS interaction. Haha.

What else can I do? I could open a new account, sure, but it might suffer the same fate if I'm not being told what I did wrong. I've done everything I can think of, but at this point I'm one step to abandoning Dropbox and going for another service.

Re: Error 429 - ticket closed - not sharing anything, still banned

Mark
Super User II
Is it possible you can re-open the ticket at http://dropbox.zendesk.com or not?

What is the ticket number?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

helveticar
Explorer | Level 4

No, I can not re-open it. It says I can create a follow-up, though.

Ticket number is: <removed after issue was solved>

Mark
Super User II
Create a follow up please. I dont work for Dropbox, sorry, but will try and escalate.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

helveticar
Explorer | Level 4

Okay, just did. Thanks for your effort and the quick help.

Re: My account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

surferxo3
New member | Level 2

My dropbox links are blocked and its been a month and they are still not active. If the dropbox won't fix the issue asap then I will shift to onedrive. Onedrive is much better than stupid dropbox.

Dropbox really sucks now. Soon I will move my all data to onedrive and delete the stupid dropbox account forever.

helveticar
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for escalating this. My follow-up ticket was finally reviewed and the ban was lifted.

For those who read this and are interested in what happened:

Over a year ago, I had a shared folder which contained an executable that was protected against disassembling. This is usually detected by overeager virusscanners (who don't know what's in there, therefore they assume it's a virus). I've deleted said file over a year ago from my system, and I didn't even know it still existed anywhere... but apparently that was triggered in October and caused a permanent ban.

I wish the Dropbox account owner would receive a notification in that case and be given the name of the file, and not just after a ticket inquiry. I would have never ever thought of that. It also means I'll never use Dropbox for sharing code (I'm a programmer) because sometimes little code snippets trigger virus scanners.

Re: My account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

adnpagani
New member | Level 2

I've had this same problem for 3 ou 4 months.

I already cleaned the files, now i'm using only 13,9% of 11,9Gb used ans still cant share my files.

**bleep** Dropbox!

Daily Traffic exceeded, no Links shared

Karasu
New member | Level 2

I've had my account for several years with hundred of small random shared links (pictures to send to friends, files for collab, ..) and came up to this error last week. I found it very strange to have exceeded the daily traffic but went ahead and deleted all of the shared links anyway. It's now a week later and even with no shares my daily traffic is still used up. Is there anything else that can cause this?

Best regards

Re: Daily Traffic exceeded, no Links shared

Kora
Dropboxer

Hi there,

From what you write you may have been banned because of too much traffic. When your shared links are banned, you can't share them, but the files are still available to you in your Dropbox. When your file requests are banned, people will not be able to upload files to your file request.

When your account hits our limit, we send a message to the email address registered to your account. Your links are temporarily disabled, and anyone who tries to access them will see an error page instead of your files.

Dropbox Basic (free) accounts have a total amount of traffic that your links and file requests together can generate without getting banned, 20 GB per day.

The total number of downloads that all of your links together can generate is 100,000 downloads per day.

Dropbox Pro and Business accounts have a total amount of traffic that all of links and file requests together can generate without getting banned, about 200 GB per day.

There's no daily limit to the number of downloads that your links can generate.

Even with a traffic limit of 20 GB or 200 GB per day, or 100,000 downloads per day, it's entirely possible for links to go over the limit.

Let's say you've sent a link to a file to a small number of people. One of the recipients could have sent the link to others, leading to more people viewing the file and using up the allotted traffic. Or one of the recipients could have downloaded the file multiple times; each download is counted separately for tracking purposes. If you publish your link on social media, it may quickly spread to a very large audience with or without your knowledge.

We also occasionally receive reports that a shared link violates our Acceptable Use Policy. If we find a violation, all links and sharing will be banned for that account.

If you think your links have been suspended incorrectly for this reason, contact our support team and we'll take a look.

(info also available on this article on our Help Center: https://help.dropbox.com/security/banned-links )

Kora

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?