cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error moving files from shared folder on Business Account - MacOs High Sierra

Highlighted

Error moving files from shared folder on Business Account - MacOs High Sierra

Explorer | Level 4

When I try and move a file from a shared folder on our business account to my desktop  or any other folder  on my computer (other than my personal dropbox folder) I get an error message:

Screenshot 2018-08-14 10.png:

heres the text:

--------------

Can't move "file name" to "desktop" folder

Moving this shared file to you Desktop folder would remove it for everyone else at Business Dropbox Name.  Learn more about sharing

--------------

I checked my shared setting and everyong (only 2 of us) have full access to the files for moving, copying, etc.

I can copy the file but can't move it.  I can delete it with a dialog box for confirming it will delete for everyuone.

Any ideas?

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: Error moving files from shared folder on Business Account - MacOs High Sierra

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @tscarlisle. Initially, please note that I went ahead and removed aspects of your screenshot for privacy and security reasons. 

Moving on to your concern, as the error message suggests, if you move the file, it will be deleted for other users that have access to the shared file

However, as you mention, copying it is an option, as well as downloading it locally, as it will not delete it for other users, irrespective of their permissions - check out this link to see what each role’s capability is. Please bear in mind though that the copy will not update like the shared file will. 

Hope this helped to some extent. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I do want to move the file completely so I'm not concerned about other peoples access. How is it any different from copying the file and then deleting it? 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
It isnt - the issue is the fact that its share tscarlisle.

So because the file/s will no longer be within the share it means anybody else within that share will have it deleted from their account.

So, if you do want them to lose access just move it as you want. Or, why not close the Share down totally? That is as long as you are the owner of the share.

You can do that by going to it at www.dropbox.com/home, finding the share, clicking on 'Share' next to the folder name, then 'Folder settings' and 'unshare folder'.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I'm not sure I understand what your saying.  

Here is a typical issue I've had:

1.  I accidiently drop a file or folder, or more likely save it, into one of the Dropbox For Business folders I share with my partner.

2.  Then when I try to move it out to say my desktop or another folder where I wanted to put it in the first place, I get the error message.

I suppose I could just copy it out and then delete it, so I'm wondering why the extra steps?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

As @Mark states in his post above, when you add a file to a shared folder it becomes shared as well; so when you move this file out of the shared folder, it means that it will be removed for other users too. 

Indeed, if you were to copy the file elsewhere and delete the (shared) file later, it would present you with the same result since this is how the action is being read. 

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to get back to us. Cheers! 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@tscarlisle wrote:

I suppose I could just copy it out and then delete it, so I'm wondering why the extra steps?

Simply put - Dropbox doesnt know that it was an accident. There is no rules around the message to say 'if this wasnt meant to happen dont display the message' because its a computer system (i.e. its dim!) so it simply doesnt know it. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I understand that it will no longer be shared. I am OK with that. I'm just wondering why Dropbox won't let me move the file out of the shard folder. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to us here, @tscarlisle

In order to further investigate on this matter with you, due to account-specific and sensitive info required, we’d have to take this discussion to email. For this reason, I’ve gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. Please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Cheers! 

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

this should not be marked as accepted solution because it isn't.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?