cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error moving large numbers of files between Dropbox Folders in iPadOS

Error moving large numbers of files between Dropbox Folders in iPadOS

Explorer | Level 3

I automatically upload my photos to the Dropbox Camera Uploads folder using the Dropbox app. Every so often, I want to move these photos and videos from the Camera Uploads folder to another folder within Dropbox to organize them. I can do this with hundreds of files at a time in MacOS without a problem. In iPadOS I was able to move 19 videos without a problem, but trying to move 80+ photo files from one folder to another results in a general error about checking my network connection. After the error, I see that some of the files have moved successfully and some have not. The good news is that all files are accounted for in either the original folder or the destination folder, but I eventually resorted to doing the move in MacOS, which as I said, worked just fine. The results of the move were instantly reflected on the iPad in all cases. 

On other detail is that I have the Camera Uploads folder set to be available offline. Also, exporting 199 files from Dropbox to an external drive worked perfectly on the iPad. Only moving from folder to folder within Dropbox produced an error. 

The iPad and my Mac are both connected to the same home wifi, and I have no reason to believe that the network is unstable, since doing the exact same operation on the Mac works just fine. 

Another related issue is that multi select by checking one file and then checking a file further down the list while pressing the shift key is hit or miss. I often have to do this twice to make it work, going back and unchecking the first file, and repeating the process. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Error moving large numbers of files between Dropbox Folders in iPadOS

Dropboxer

Hi @Simon42, thanks for joining the Community!

If there are a large number of files to be moved, then it's possible that this issue could occur, since it has to make the changes direct to the site.

Do you keep the Dropbox mobile app open in the foreground while making these moves?

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
I do keep the app in the foreground and wait for it to complete, which it does within a longer, but reasonable amount of time as compared to the desktop. The error happens very consistently with large numbers of files. The time it takes is perfectly reasonable, but the fact that so many files completely fail to get moved is not.

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that @Simon42!

Can you let me know which Dropbox app version you're running on your device?

Also, out of curiosity, do you have the same issue if you do large moves through the Files app? If you're not familiar with Dropbox in the Files app, you can check out a little more info here.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?