cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error syncing Mac to Drop Box

Error syncing Mac to Drop Box

New member | Level 2

Hello!

I just downloaded Drop Box onto my Mac. It said it qas syncing and then complete.

The only item I selected for it to sync were Documents. The documents are now gone from my desktop but they are NOT on my Dropbox. There were two folders on my desktop previously. One is on Drop box but I cannot open it because it says localized. The other is missing completely. I thought maybe the sync process was actually paused. However, there is no option on the menu to resume or anything. I saw a trick on going into your Mac trash and looking at hidden documents but there are few few documents there in comparison to what was in my folders. Now I cannot access my documents or see them anywhere. They are lost!

Please help!

5 Replies 5

Re: Error syncing Mac to Drop Box

Dropboxer

Hi @ld13e, thanks for messaging today!

Are you able to view your missing files online in the files page?

Were there any recent events, or deleted files, which could tell you what happened to the files?

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

My wife is experiencing the same issue with our family acccount.  She setup Dropbox and set it to backup her Desktop and Documents.  Then this morning she went to open something and both Desktop and Documents were gone.  

They are not in the Trash folder, and they are nowhere to be found on her computer.  We need help with this ASAP.

Explorer | Level 4

So I did some serious digging into her machine and I found out the problem was self caused.  Naturally at 5:00 AM this morning when everything was gone it was an emergency, but with some coffee and searching I found the problem.  Not sure if this will impact anyone else, but here's the issue for my wife.

She had a previous installation and account with Dropbox, and when we moved to the family plan she used a different account.  So what happend is Dropbox moved all of her documents and desktop items to an OLD folder.  Not sure why they would have moved files from those folders, but they did.  Seems like it would have made more sense to have left those files in the Documents and Desktop folders without moving them to an archived folder.

This feels like a flaw in the program that should be looked into.

Dropboxer

Hi @judefreeman, I'm glad to hear you were able to locate your files. 

When you sign out of your Dropbox account and into a new one on the Dropbox desktop application, to prevent data loss, the old Dropbox folder is renamed with an 'Old' suffix.

This helps to keep the files safe, instead of syncing them to the new account automatically, which might not be wanted by the user.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4
While I’m glad we were able to recover the files I still think it shouldn’t remove those files from the places they existed. Maybe that’s juts my opinion though.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?