cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when saving PowerPoint to Dropbox

Error when saving PowerPoint to Dropbox

loroz
Explorer | Level 3

I recently started getting an error message when I try save a file to the local Dropbox folder. I can save my files to other local locations without a problem.  I am using Windows 10 and Office 365. The message that comes up is "An error occured while PowerPoint was saving the file."

When I click "OK", I get a second error message: "We're sorry.  Something went wrong that might make PowerPoint unstable. Please save your presentation and restart PowerPoint."

It will look as though it is not allowing me to save, but actually it is saving locally and syncing to Dropbox.  When I try to open the file, I get this error: "PowerPoint foound a problem with the content in [file]. PowerPoint can attempt to repair the presentation. I fyou trust the source of this presentation, click Repair."

If I click Repair, I get this: "PowerPoint couldn't read some content in [file]. Repaired and removed it. Please check your presentation to see if the rest of it looks ok."

And it does seem ok.  This happens with every PowerPoint file I'm working with, not just this one, but not with other Office applications.

My IT person did a 'quick repair' on my PowerPoint installation, but that didn't fix the problem.  I don't seem to be having this problem on my desktop at work which is using an older version of Office, so I suspect it might be related to the connection between Office 365 and Dropbox.  Is there any way to fix this?  I really don't want to move everything to OneDrive.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Re: Error when saving PowerPoint to Dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello there @loroz, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Do you have the same issue saving when you temporarily pause the desktop app sync, or even quit the app?

If you're not familiar, you can quit the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TimothyCrystal
Explorer | Level 3

We have multiple users who are experiencing the same issue. It only seems to affect pptx documents saved to dropbox. The file is in a shared folder, but no other user has the same document open at the time it is creating the problem.

I have tried:

1) Removing and reinstalling Dropbox

2) Resyncing the Dropbox Cache

Oddly, the same file can be opened on a different PC and it works normally. So this does seem to be a local issue. 

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @TimothyCrystal, what version of Office and Windows are you running on that machine, and the other PC which works fine? Have you updated them to the latest versions?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TimothyCrystal
Explorer | Level 3

Windows 10 (64 bit with latest 2004 patch) running Office 365. All machines are running the same software. One update, after deleting the cache manually and resyncing, it seems to have fixed the issue. I will post again if it keeps happening. 

Jay
Dropboxer

No worries, @TimothyCrystal, keep me posted if this issue occurs again.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    TimothyCrystal Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?