cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Every time I open a Powerpoint file I get an error message from DB for no reason

Every time I open a Powerpoint file I get an error message from DB for no reason

David T.36
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have powerpoints in unshared, regular folders that are synced to Dropbox as I've always done before. But now when I open the files (without moving them at all), I get a message If you move this file to (the folder it currently resides in with everything else), it won't be available in Dropbox or on any devices." This is maddening. The Don't Ask Me Again checkbox doesn't work if I hit Cancel and if I hit Move Out of Dropbox, then it isn't synced with Dropbox, which is not what I want. Why am I suddenly getting these messages on files that are definitely in my Dropbox and indeed accessible on my iOS devices and the Web, and are not being removed, just opened? It sounds like Dropbox thinks I'm removing each file by opening them, but I'm not. I'm running v56.3.90. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

13 Replies 13

rusignola
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi --

Does this issue have a fix yet?

Thanks,
Michael

David T.36
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I finally just had to cave and move my main folders into Dropbox. That did the trick. No more error messages and even better, I can move stuff out to another folder and then back without Dropbox reversing it. Since I have shortcuts to those folders on my Finder and Pathfinder sidebars, it isn't that onerous in the end.

kikoulou
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In addition, one could create (simple or symbolic) links from folders and files in Dropbox towards the outside world, and achieve the same goal as if it was the other way around (i.e. from the outside world towards Dropbox): only links towards (or within) Dropbox are problematic.

David T.36
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sure, but at this point with Dropbox now stating they do not officially support symbolic links and now have behaviors that actively discourage such use, I'm steering clear of them, regardless of the directionality :scream_cat:

Need more support?