cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Excel File Will Not Open- "moved, renamed or deleted" error

Why do I get a "Sorry, we could not find your file. Is it possible it was moved, renamed...?' error?

PKS2000
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Error message states "Sorry, we could not find <filename>.  Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?"

It has not been moved, renamed or deleted.  Not all Excel files are affected but this is not the first time this has happened. I have 3 computers and all of them have this issue.  I'm using Office 365 on all 3 computers.  

I would like to get a response from someone who has had this issue and how it was solved. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Phil 

23 Replies 23

PratyushChowdhary
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue, but the path length is shorter than 255 characters.
Please help ! 

zesid
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This error shows that the file name or the location of the file has been changed. Go to the search option and type the name of your file, you may get the file.

tohsher
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

l had the same incident and it may be you renamed the file without knowing. l think you can go and all files and see if it is there. if not it may be that you have accidently deleted it. It can also mean that you may not have save it.

Liz-Ideate
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had this exact issue.  It was not the 3rd party software or the path name. This was what finally resolved it: 

"If you’re in a Dropbox Business team, you most likely have Smart Sync enabled.   If this is true, the files you're trying to open could be marked as online-only, and there isn’t enough time for the file to download from the site to open it, which could result in this error.

Mark the files as local.

Need more support?