cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel File is blank after sharing with another person through DropBox.

Excel File is blank after sharing with another person through DropBox.

ryanbarton96
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I have an Excel workbook that is around 55mb large, and I am unable to use email to send it so I'm trying to use DropBox. When I uploaded the document and shared it with a colleague, the workbook was blank when opened. The file itself is not corrupted because I was able to use a file sharer, ProjectWise, to share it initially and my colleague was able to open it without a problem. The file only seems to get corrupted once uploaded through DropBox. Is this a common problem or is there a known solution for this?

I do have a fair bit of VBA code so I'm not sure if that has something to with it, or if its some sort of compatibility problem between me and the other person.

ryanbarton96_0-1616433293384.png

Thanks,

7 Replies 7

Re: Excel File is blank after sharing with another person through DropBox.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @ryanbarton96, thanks for posting!

When you view the file in your Dropbox account online, do you have the same issue with the file appearing blank there?

If possible, could you try re-uploading the file to your account to see if there's any difference then?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ryanbarton96
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne!

Thank you for the response!

I went in and checked to see if I could preview the file but it says the file is too large to preview. See below.

ryanbarton96_0-1616689486741.png

Is this what you mean by looking at them online? Is there another way to test this out?

I've also tried reuploading to my account, as well as trying to download from other accounts, but nothing seems to work. I can open the file locally and it works as intended but as soon as I upload that same file through DropBox, this issue arises.

Not sure if this is some sort of compatibility problem between my Excel and DropBox or if its something within the file. The fact that the file opens fine right before I upload it makes me think the problem is on the DropBox side but I can't be certain.

Anything else that could maybe cause this problem? And as always the help is very much appreciated.

Thank you, 

Ryan

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @ryanbarton96!

The file is just over the limit to be able to preview through Dropbox online.

Just to confirm with you, is the file opening blank when you download the file and open it locally on your computer, or when you try opening the file through Dropbox with the Microsoft Online integration?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ryanbarton96
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the response Daphne!

So, the file in question was originally made by me, and then I was uploading it into a third party file sharing app ProjectWise, which would work completely fine when I, or any other person, would download from ProjectWise. 

Now, due to lack of access to ProjectWise for some people, we have to use a different way of sharing the file, DropBox. When I upload the same file that I would normally upload to ProjectWise into DropBox, it seems that is when the file 'corrupts'. As soon as I upload it through DropBox and then try and re-download it back, the Excel sheet is blank when I open it up.

The file itself is definitely not corrupted as I currently have it open and it works as intended. Not sure if I have to have certain settings on in Excel to correctly get it from DropBox or something like that. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Ryan

Daphne
Dropboxer
Just to rule out a few possibilities here @ryanbarton96, if you use an incognito/private browsing window, do you have the same issue when opening or downloading the file?

How about when you use another web browser altogether?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

ryanbarton96
Explorer | Level 4

I just tried both. I used Edge to try and reupload and download the file, as well as trying in an incognito window in Chrome. Neither seemed to work. Each time the Excel file would open like below when downloaded from DropBox.

ryanbarton96_0-1617116360294.png

I tried uploading some of my other versions of the file also (All verified to work on my local PC), but they ran into the same problems.

I will also note that I tried this same process using Google Drives, but the same problem arose. I know that Drive and DropBox are unrelated but I figured I'd throw that out there in case it has some relevance to the problem.

Thank you,

Ryan

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @ryanbarton96, the file most likely is too large to be previewed on the Dropbox site, and also the Excel Online page.

The VBA scripts also would not help, since these can't be displayed on Excel Online.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?