cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel and Google Docs

Excel and Google Docs

Dawesten
Explorer | Level 3

I share an Excel file (created on a Mac) with someone who opens it and edits using Google Docs. when I go to open the file after he has made changes, the mini preview displays the latest changes, but when I proceed to open it in Excel, on an iOS device, some, but not all of the changes he has made display. Possibly he has saved at a certain point but not later, but I don’t know. 

Can he update the file successfully using a PC (which I forgot to mention) using Google Docs, or is it necessary that he use Excel? What could cause only changes up to a certain version to sync, but not later ones?

Thank you.

Derek

3 Replies 3

Re: Excel and Google Docs

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @Dawesten; thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

For starters, is this an individually shared file or a file within a shared folder? 

Can you please let me know if this happens with all of your Excel files or only this specific one? 

Also, can you see if those changes make it to our server indeed by checking the file on our website? 

Any additional information will be more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dawesten
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for responding! 

I only know about this file because this is the only Excel file I am sharing through DropBox. It is in a shared folder. I was able to restore it from a backup, and now have the restored one as well as the damaged one in the DropBox folder. It reflects the missing entries. However, I moved it to a different folder and then moved it back. I don't know whether, had I gone directly to DropBox, whether it would have been damaged before being moved and put back.

I'd be happy to give you the link, provided it is confidential. I don't know exactly what process the other user is using, and he is not sufficiently technical to give me a precise, step-by-step description. I am guessing it's a Google Docs issue, because that program has to translate the Excel file to open it and then, I assume, try to save it as an Excel file again.

Maybe I just need to require that he install Excel on his PC >>>

Thank you

Derek

Walter
Dropboxer

I guess that working on the same app while editing this file would be preferable indeed, Derek.

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?