cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Excel docs freeze when i open them with dropbox

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I recently needed to reinstall Windows 10 (10 days ago) because of serious system issues. I have noticed since then, when I open Excel filed from dropbox (opens using my desktop Excel program) that they frequently (more than 50% of the time) freeze while i am trying to edit them. It seems this happens more often when i have several cells highlighted. The only way to fix the file, is to shut it down. Waiting (and i have waited for over 60 minutes), does not work and attempting to save the file is uneventful. This is quite a problem. How do i fix this issue? After Windows 10 was reinstalled, i reinstalled Dropbox and i do not want to do this again.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Excel docs freeze when i open them with dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @jkhcast - sorry to hear about this.

At first, to help isolate this issue, could you please try quitting the Dropbox application by using the following steps:

• Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac/Linux)
  • Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar and select "Quit Dropbox"

If, on one hand, the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, it means that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application so you may need to re-install the mentioned program (Microsoft Excel) on the affected computer to see if it helps. 

If, on the other hand, the issue is resolved when Dropbox is completely closed, please let me know.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

i have exited dropbox and have been using the same document in Excel for several hours. The issue seems to have resolved with Dropbox closed. How do i fix this so i can use this as a dropbox file.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @jkhcast!

Would it be OK if I reached out to your Dropbox email address to look into this together?

I'm only asking because I'll need to check the problematic file on my end.

Let me know here when you find some spare time and we'll take it from there. 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hey there @jkhcast,

• What version of (Microsoft Office) Excel are you running?
  • And do you have the Dropbox Badge enabled?

It's likely not Dropbox per se, it's the Dropbox Office Badge, which is intended to integrate Office with Dropbox, so people can collaborate on documents shared on Dropbox. If you disable the Badge, the problem goes away.

Just DISABLE Dropbox Office Badge and see if that resolves the problem!

How to disable Dropbox BadgeHow to disable Dropbox Badge

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have exited dropbox and have been using the same document in Excel for several hours. The issue seems to have resolved with Dropbox closed. How do i fix this so i can use this as a dropbox file.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I will attempt that. Thank you.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Did you have the time to give @sharmanhall's suggestion a go perhaps @jkhcast ?

How does it work for you?

Walter

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?