cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel file changes not being saved

Excel file changes not being saved

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I use an Excel file saved to a folder in my Dropbox. This is accessed by two colleagues both of whom use Office for Mac as do I (Office 365 in two cases, not sure if one is standalone Office for Mac or 365)

In any event, though I successfully save changes to the file, when one of my colleagues accesses the file later it's as if I've never edited it at all. 

I see from a 2018  community post/reply that Excel files in Dropbox can only be edited successfully using Office online. Is this still true?

If this is the case, I'm disappointed that this is not made clear in some way for users of DropBox (perhaps an alert for any .xls or .xlsx files saved) because I suspect that a lot of people have lost data as a result.

So I guess the question is, is the problem of not being able to edit Excel files with the desktop version of Excel still true?

Cheers

Iain

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @IainF; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

When you say you successfully saved your changes on the said file, can you clarify if you've also noticed our desktop app within your menu bar state that it's 'Up to date' which means you're fully synced? 

In that case, could you take a look at the file's version history on our website and see if those edits were somehow overwritten?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there Iain. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

I'll have a look at this tomorrow with 'real data'. I'd rather not alter the file just for the sake of it.

I haven't spotted anything to suggest that the file isn't up to date but I'll look tomorrow.

Thanks for your help with this

Cheers

Iain

PS is there a way to jump straight to my own posts in the community forum?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Feel free to take your time and report back with your findings whenever you get the chance Iain!

As for your posts on our Community, you can navigate to your account's profile to see them directly by clicking on your avatar (or the smiley icon) on your upper right corner. 

Keep me posted and stay safe! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter

made some entries to the Excel file in Dropbox with Excel on my Mac.

When I opened the file there was banner below the toolbar that said the Excel had recovered some changes and did I want to restore them. The file looked complete so I clicked no.

Having made the entries I saved the file. There was no obvious indication that anything had happened. 

In the title bar there is a greyed out text saying "saved to my Mac".

I went into DropBox and looked at the version history and it seemed that the last edit time was tonight, at the time I made the changes. I opened the file in Excel for the web and the entries were there.

So I'm not sure whether this an intermittent error, whether I've changed something or am doing things differently or what!

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Iain

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Still having a problem with Excel files not apparently syncing to Dropbox on saving on my Mac.

I extensively edited a file, changed formulas etc and saved it (twice) to Dropbox.

When one of my colleagues edited the file later that day and saved it (again from a Mac) the file was significantly smaller than the one I had saved (as shown by the file size in the version history). When I opened the file again today all my formula edits were gone though the additional columns I'd inserted and named were still there.

If Dropbox cannot reliably save changes it's pretty useless. 

What is going on?

Cheers

Iain

PS in the user forum, is there a way to go back to my own posts?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi again @IainF; glad to see you back in our Community and sorry to hear you're still having issues with syncing your shared excel files. 

Can you please let me know if you've ensured that our desktop app was reporting 'Up to date' after you finished working on the mentioned files? Did your new changes make it to our website, meaning you were able to see them on dropbox.com?

Could you perhaps try to re-install both our desktop app and the Excel app on the affected computer and try again?

Do you still get the same results?

Please keep me posted on your findings Iain! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

can't comment on the previous time there was a problem but I've checked the menu bar dropdown and it currently says "up to date".

The issue I have is the obvious change in file size. It looks like I saved a file of around 55KB and when Jo opened/saved it, it was 52KB (I guess accounting for the loss of the edits).
I'm not sure that this is a saving issue but that the file being opened by Jo is not (apparently) the one I saved (maybe the one she last edited) but when she saves her changes they over-write my changes. 
I've checked that she is opening the file in the relevant DropBox folder

I attach a picture.
Cheers

IainExcel file history, file size change.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for all the additional information @IainF!

Can you please forward me 2 screenshots of this file so I can have a look?

I'd appreciate one of how the file looks like on your end after editing it and one of how it looks like when your collaborator is opening it on their end. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter

The contents of the file are confidential (no kidding).

The file is pretty basic. It has day and date columns, a series of columns that are counted by row if the cells are occupied. The count of occupied cells in each row is then used to calculate an amount in the next column.

Basically my edits to the spreadsheet in terms of adding columns, renaming columns and altering formulas are lost. I guess the additional columns and updated formulas account for the increase in file size when I save it and that the decrease in file size when Jo saves the file is because the edits are lost or were never present...

I could send you a dummy of the file with non-confidential data but that's the best I could do.

Cheers

Iain

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    IainF Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?