cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel files slow sync (cloud)

Excel files slow sync (cloud)

babadb
Explorer | Level 4

Excel files, and only excel files are very slow to cloud sync. LANsinc is fast but the sync indicator on the dropbox icon stays on for a long time. I tested by saving a very small excel file, 10kB, takes 10 sec. A similar size file of any other type, including Word, will cloud sync in 1 or 2 seconds. I have no limit on dropbox speed and my upload speed is 6Mb/s.

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @babadb; welcome to our Community!

Can you please clarify if you're referring to changing the file's status to 'Online Only' via our Smart Sync feature or just uploading the files?

While at it, can you send me a screenshot of what you see so I can have a visual too?

If you could provide your computer's OS and the app's status within your computer's system tray/menu bar too, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

babadb
Explorer | Level 4

All files stored locally.  W10.  Issue only happens with Excel files, nothing else.  So it appears to be something unique about Excel files that Dropbox takes longer to cloud sync. Local, LANsinc, happens fast.  And it appears it is not upload time, since I can see that is done in 2 bursts taking 1 -2 seconds total. Its just that the Dropbox icon syncing indication take 10 -15 seconds. I havent figured out how to see how ling it takes to actually update the file in the cloud. No real time tools.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In that case, I'd suggest re-installing Excel as it might help improve matters @babadb.

Keep me posted anyhow!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Albwal
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I have the same problem. Did you ever get a solution to it?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Albwal, have you tried the steps provided in the previous messages to see if they help?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

davidwh
Explorer | Level 4

I am having a similar problem with dropbox and all the ms office suite. Its been bad for a few months now. Time for dropbox to pay attention to this Big Problem 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for joining the discussion @davidwh.

Just to have a better idea of your setup, please let me know the following:
  1. The version of the desktop app you have installed.
  2. The version of the Microsoft Office apps.
  3. Your device's OS and version.
Also, just to confirm, are you seeing a slight delay in the files syncing of up to 10 seconds, as the OP mentioned? Or do you see a slightly different behaviour?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

davidwh
Explorer | Level 4

I am using the most up to date versions of Windows 10 and MSOffice. When I try to open ANY MSOffice file from Dropbox it is incredibly slow. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Dropbox add-on for MS Office but it makes NO difference at all. All my programs are fully up to date It takes much more than 10 secs to open files

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for getting back to me here @davidwh!

Before you open the files, are they already stored locally on your computer, or are they synced as "online only"?

You can confirm this with the sync icon next to the file if you're not familiar.

Also, are you opening the files by navigating to them in the Dropbox folder and double clicking them, or opening the Microsoft app and choosing the file from the "Open" menu?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    babadb Explorer | Level 4
    davidwh Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?