cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Exclude specific folder names with Smart Sync

Exclude specific folder names with Smart Sync

feliximafidon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can see there's been a lot of demand for the "ignore files/folders with selective names" feature, but Dropbox is yet to consider an implementation.

Largely, what this does is (1) save on uploading unnecessary folders (such as node_modules) that take unnecessary space; and (2) save on downloading uncessary folders when adding a new device for syncing.

And by the way, Selective Sync doesn't solve this problem - as user responses have shown.

Now, there's the Smart Sync feature that solves problem #2 in some way. However, problem #1 is still there. Or does Smart Sync solve this too?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @feliximafidon, thanks for detailed post on this, much appreciated! 

Your feedback helps us improve our product and so I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration.  

I can also move this post to Share an idea so as to keep better track of it. In the mean time, if you have any other thoughts to forward, don’t hesitate to get back to us. :nerd:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry about missing the question on that one, @feliximafidon!

In general, this depends on your Smart Sync settings or, in other words, whether they are set to default on online-only or local. If you have selected for files to be online-only, then your files and folders that are being downloaded to your new device should be online-only

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @feliximafidon, thanks for detailed post on this, much appreciated! 

Your feedback helps us improve our product and so I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration.  

I can also move this post to Share an idea so as to keep better track of it. In the mean time, if you have any other thoughts to forward, don’t hesitate to get back to us. :nerd:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

feliximafidon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you @Lusil, for your prompt response.

I'm glad the "ignore files/folders by selective names" feature is being considered by your team, and I hope that we will find it in a soon-to-come update. 

However, you did not answer my question. Or should I assume that my assumptions are true that Smart Sync doesn't solve problem #2 as highlighted in my question?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry about missing the question on that one, @feliximafidon!

In general, this depends on your Smart Sync settings or, in other words, whether they are set to default on online-only or local. If you have selected for files to be online-only, then your files and folders that are being downloaded to your new device should be online-only

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

djm2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes Selective Syncing does not solve this problem at all. Been using Dropbox since the start and now that I'm doing Node development the lack of this feature has ruined the service for me. With the large number of files and sym links in the node_modules folder, syncing becomes a nuisance. I just noticed this feature request was declined. I will be leaving Dropbox. So terribly dissappointed in you! Shame on you!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@djm2 wrote:

Yes Selective Syncing does not solve this problem at all. ... With the large number of files and sym links in the node_modules folder, syncing becomes a nuisance.

Note that symlinks are NOT supported in Dropbox and can cause sync issues and loss of data. I don't know what removing a symlinked folder from Dropbox will do. Make a backup first.

Temporarily remove the node_modules folder from your Dropbox. Once Dropbox has finished syncing, create an empty node_modules folder in Dropbox and use Selective Sync to remove it. Once the folder has disappeared, move the original node_modules folder back to Dropbox. Dropbox will start to sync it, realize that one exists in your account already and will mark it with a grey icon, meaning a Selective Sync conflict. You should now have a folder in your local Dropbox folder that will not sync.

I'd suggest testing this with an unimportant folder first, as it's been a while since I last did this and things may have changed.

djm2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That's a pain to do every time I create a project. Over 850 people liked the feature request. Looking for an alternative service... I know sym links aren't supported. That's half the point! I don't want the node_modules folder synced!

doublesharp
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This feature was requested at least 7 years ago and no progress has been made by Dropbox other than locking the post with 900+ comments on it asking for this functionality.

I've tried and tried and tried to make Dropbox work for my development environment with minimal success - *just* being able to ignore node_modules would make a huge improvement - so I'm ready to give up as it seems like Dropbox has no plans to implement it. Personally, I'm going to try the move over to Insync with Google Drive which has this functionality, can't be worse than locking up my CPU scanning thousands of files I don't care about 😛

Use the Ignore List to Ignore files: https://help.insynchq.com/key-features-and-syncing-explained/general/use-the-ignore-list-to-ignore-f...

Good luck!

djm2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Bye Bye Dropbox!! Uggg another Google service. I guess this is how they get us... by giving us the functionality we need. 

topaboss
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't understand how this has not been solved yet.

If you have local, online-only tags with smart sync why not local-only...

It makes dropbox useless for anything that creates temporary or a lot of files because we can't exclude various file types or folders. I mean, seriously, it's less work to sync less files, isn't optimization the goal?

This feature is now requested for 8 years and brought up all the time

Need more support?