cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude specific folder names with Smart Sync

Exclude specific folder names with Smart Sync

feliximafidon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can see there's been a lot of demand for the "ignore files/folders with selective names" feature, but Dropbox is yet to consider an implementation.

Largely, what this does is (1) save on uploading unnecessary folders (such as node_modules) that take unnecessary space; and (2) save on downloading uncessary folders when adding a new device for syncing.

And by the way, Selective Sync doesn't solve this problem - as user responses have shown.

Now, there's the Smart Sync feature that solves problem #2 in some way. However, problem #1 is still there. Or does Smart Sync solve this too?

11 Replies 11

topaboss
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

There seems to be a way now that's in beta, worked on windows 10 although doesn't show up as working until I pause sync and resume.

You have to navigate to folder on dropbox, hold ctrl+shift+(right click) somewhere in folder, [open powershell window here]

Then inside you copy/paste:

Set-Content -Path $Pwd -Stream com.dropbox.ignored -Value 1

So basically $Pwd is path to this location in powershell and the rest flags it somehow to ignore

This will (on next sync) put a grey minus sign on the whole folder and seems stop syncing. I've lost so many files to dropbox sync that happy at least something works. Found the solution elsewhere for files (replace $Pwd with path that includes filename at end) but I wanted a reusable script I can do quick.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@topaboss wrote:

There seems to be a way now that's in beta ...

It's all documented here:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    topaboss Explorer | Level 4
    djm2 Helpful | Level 6
    doublesharp Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?