cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiry notifications that files will expire in 2 days, why is that?

Expiry notifications that files will expire in 2 days, why is that?

gmartfin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm getting a notification saying my files expire in two days. I don't have any bonus space just a basic account of 2GB. There is 785 MB of stored files in my account. I thought this service was for storage and can't understand why anything under the 2 gb limit would expire. Does it disappear? Very disappointing if so. Notifications don't pop on my computer so I wouldn't have even known had I not checked the account.

Ps I should add I've searched the help files and the community here but there doesn't seem to be any reference to the issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gmartfin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Basically that xyz file and 11 more items expire in 2 days and hasn't yet been downloaded. Trouble is I don't recall any file transfers. This is a static account for updates on word docs. Nothing I would be sending out anywhere. Anyway as long as they don't disappear I'm happy.

Thanks for the response.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @gmartfin, I hope you're having a good day so far!

The files actually stored in your account indeed won't expire at any point, so it sounds like that notification might be referring to a file transfer expiring.

Would you mind letting me know exactly what the notification said there? This should give us a better insight as to exactly what's occurring.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gmartfin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Basically that xyz file and 11 more items expire in 2 days and hasn't yet been downloaded. Trouble is I don't recall any file transfers. This is a static account for updates on word docs. Nothing I would be sending out anywhere. Anyway as long as they don't disappear I'm happy.

Thanks for the response.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional info @gmartfin!

That does indeed sound like a transfer that has been shared with you, rather than you sharing to another person.

In this case, it seems like nothing to be concerned about on your part, unless you want to download the files that were shared with you of course.

If there's anything else that I can help with, please feel free to give me a nudge here anytime. :grin:

Have a great day!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sfnagle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a similar issue (see second pic below). The annoying thing is that when I click on "Manage" there is nothing to manage (see first pic below).Screenshot 2020-05-20 22.15.01.pngScreenshot 2020-05-20 22.13.47.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @sfnagle!

Since the notification notes "7 months ago", the transfer is likely already expired.

From the screenshot that you sent, can you try clicking on the "Expired" tab just under the grey dialogue box and let me know if you see the Transfer there?

Let me know!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

boudreauml
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have invited a friend to share a dropbox folder with a lot of files (about 2400 song lyrics and chords).  He synced all of the songs into his Songbook program.  Now he has received this same message - "Your transfer expires in 2 days".  Does this mean he will lose all his songs?  What should he do?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @boudreauml, thanks for joining us on this discussion. 

The notification is about the file transfer itself. So after two days, the file transfer will expire.

If the files were saved to the third party app or downloaded to the Dropbox account, they won't be affected. 

I hope this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

boudreauml
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you.  It seems the songs are still there, so it worked out.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that, @boudreauml

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    boudreauml Explorer | Level 4
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?