cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explorer

Explorer

takatsuh
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

Working with folders and files in Dropbox suddenly became extremely slow. The actions troubled include file opening, right-clicking etc. Those outside Dropbox are normal. Something I note is that I was using preview extensively for a while before the its occurrence. I would appreciate your help.

10 Replies 10

Re: Explorer

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @takatsuh, welcome to our Community! 

Can you provide me with a bit more info with regards to the actions you take, and the results they have? 

It would be helpful for me to also know the OS you're using, along with the version of the Dropbox app.

You should be able to find out the version of the app, by hovering over the little Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi. 

It should say something like: xxx.3.xxx or xxx.4.xxx. 

Let me know what you find.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

takatsuh
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

Thanks for your response.

First of all, I'm using WINDOWS 10 and Dropbox is ver. 124.3.4898.

What I did after the occurrence of this problem were:

- uninstalled and reinstalled dropbox application

- In File explorer, view>option>general tab, I

#deleted history of Explorer.

#Changed the place to open with file explorer from "quick access" to "PC"

(Because tab names etc. may be different from English version because these are my translation from Japanese version)

These are recommended actions for this problem for Explorer in general I found on WEB.

Results were nothing happened with the problem.

If you are asking about what I was doing before the problem occurred, I was using the preview windows to work with the windows such as copying or cutting texts from the preview contents.

Please let me know if you need more information. Waiting for your reply! Thank you.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @takatsuh, thanks for the details! 

It seems you're using the Beta version instead of the stable one. 

Can you go into your account settings on the Dropbox website and turn Early releases off?

After that, install one of the stable builds of the Dropbox application. 

Let me know how that goes.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

takatsuh
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

I checked the account setting but early release is OFF, so I'm not using a beta version.

Lori
Dropboxer
I hope you're doing well @takatsuh

Can you send me a screenshot of the version you see when hovering over the Dropbox icon? 

Also, any screenshots of what you see on your end would be more than helpful, so I can have a clear visual on my end. 

Lori
dropbox.com/support

takatsuh
Explorer | Level 3

スクリーンショット 2021-06-15 073059.png

Please find attached a screenshot of dropbox version above. It looks different from the one I checked last time (124.3.4898) when you asked. It's bizarre.

When I try to work with files in dropbox thorough file explorer such as file opening and right click, a blue wheel appears and remain this status for 5 min or so until the attempted action occurs. The blue wheel cannot be captured in a screenshot because it disappears when I try to take a screenshot. No message appears.

Thank you for your help.

takatsuh
Explorer | Level 3

スクリーンショット 2021-06-15 140609.png

You might also want to see this.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @takatsuh, if you disable the preview feature in Explorer, do you get this slowdown issue in the Dropbox folder?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

takatsuh
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Yes, the freezing occurs even after disabling preview.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    takatsuh Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?