cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Links for Multiple Files

Export Links for Multiple Files

Andrew G.10
New member | Level 1

I have one thousand images uploaded to a folder. I'd like to have the unique link to every image in the folder.

I do not want to give access to the folder. Rather, I want to send one thousand people one image per person.

Is there a way to download the public links for every image in my folder? Or do I have to click into every single image?

7 Replies 7

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7

https://www.dropbox.com/help/16
See the "creating a public folder", once created add a subfolder in it, and then dump all the files into the folder.
Create yourself a link to the first file, then the second file, and examine the difference, you will see what to do from there.
Speed up the downloads for the user even more by examining the links under the DOWNLOAD buttons, as that link doesnt prompt the user just sends them the file (if this is you want)

Andrew G.10
New member | Level 1

Thanks Dave. The problem now is that all the file names are exactly as they were on my hard drive. That means they're not randomized unless I change all the file names to random string before uploading, which is hard to do in bulk.

Is there any way to download the randomized dropbox URLs in bulk? Thanks!

Mark
Super User II

Is there any way to download the randomized dropbox URLs in bulk?

No

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

@Andrew G. Well that was outside the scope of what you asked for.
However
Open an excel spreed sheet and dump a list of the file names into column A
then put this into column B
="rename "&A1&" "&DEC2HEX(RANDBETWEEN(1,16777216),6)&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(".",A1)+1)&""
And replicate it down the rows
Then copy column B and paste into a dos drop in the folder and it will rename all the files.
You might want to replace that with something that names them based on the email address your sending to tho, I dont know.

David E.45
New member | Level 1

Topic:  Copy Public Links for a group of files 

instead of right-click . . . paste . . . one at a time

First, you have to export the file names. It is not as easy as Select, Copy, Paste into text file. My files are MP3 and the audio files get pasted, not their file names. Also, I could not find a way to get a text clipping (OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard).

Method 1:  open Terminal.  at top level, ls -R to find your dropbox public folder. Then ls the folder contents and select / clip / paste to a text file. I find navigating in terminal to be difficult.

Method 2: use the FolderLister application (free for download). Drag a folder from Finder onto the FolderLister icon and you get a text file of those file names. Select and copy names. Paste into a text file.

Second: Change the file names to DropBox public shared names.

1.  Copy Public Link for one of those files in your DropBox Public folder. It has a "root" section pointing to your storage, and then the file name with all "spaces" changed to "%20".

Highlight the "root" section up to the / before the actual file name. Copy to clipboard or paste it somewhere for future use.

2.  in TextEdit, use find and replace.

First, type a space as the target to Find, and type %20 as the text to Replace. ReplaceALL. 

Second, attach the "root" section of the DropBox reference to the front of each file name, manually line by line or by using some automation. Automator can do it, and in my case I used Find / Replace again. All my files in the folder start with the same string, for example "Chapter" or "IMG". Find "Chapter" and Replace "root"Chapter and it's done. 

Amit C.2
New member | Level 1

Thanks David.

But we are getting links like:

></p>
<p>now here we can append https://www.dropbox.com/s/" and file name also But how to get middle string of the links which looks like a random string.

please advise.

Regards

Amit Choudhary

Rich
Super User II

But how to get middle string of the links which looks like a random string.

You can't. You're using a share link which has a randomly generated string in the link. The process discussed above is only for links generated within the Public folder, which uses a user ID rather than a random identifier. The Public folder is a deprecated feature that no longer exists on new accounts. Only Pro and Business accounts have the ability to create a Public folder now.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Amit C.2 New member | Level 1
    David E.45 New member | Level 1
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?