cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External drive backup not syncing

External drive backup not syncing

Matt35672
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I am using a Mac here, thinking of moving my online backup to Dropbox and made a few tries.

I have a 1to external hard drive and synced it to Dropbox. Yesterday, I had some message saying that there was a problem on my backup and a new folder was created. I deleted the old one (which was  empty) et renamed the new one. Everything seemed ok... but now Dropbox is not syncing my external hard drive anymore.

Any idea ? I tried to reinstall the app, tried to rename the hard drive, no reaction whatsoever from the Dropbox app. I don't want to resync everything from scratch as it is quite long.

Matt

4 Replies 4

Re: External drive backup not syncing

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Matt35672, thanks for joining the Community!

Have you tried disconnecting the drive and then reconnecting it to your computer?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Matt35672
Explorer | Level 4

Of course, it's the first thing I did!

I tried to disconnect the drive, to rename it, to uninstall the dropbox desktop app and even deleted the hidden files on my main hard drive and on the external one... No luck anywhere.😢

Jay
Dropboxer
I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Matt35672
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your answer.

What I finally did yesterday is erase my external hard drive and put all the files back on it.

I only did because I could do it quite easily (I am moving data to a new hard drive, so I just repeated what I did on Saturday), and because the syncing is quite fast : Dropbox is only indexing files as everything is already in the cloud. It should be over in a few hours.

But, I would Dropbox to document how backing up external drive is working: how it starts, how to chose the drive, allow users to link back up with hard drive in the app.

Thank you for your help, I hope in won't happen again, but if it does, I will contact the support team.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Matt35672 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?