cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow upload speed on Dropbox compared to Google Drive

Extremely slow upload speed on Dropbox compared to Google Drive

feanne
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm using both Dropbox and Google Drive on my laptop (Macbook Pro) here at home, and I've noticed in the past few weeks that my upload speed to Drobox is extremely slow.

I've read the following threads on this issue and haven't been able to find a solution:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/VERY-SLOW-Upload-speed-uploading-files-from-Dr...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Ridiculously-slow-upload-speeds/td-p/395342

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Dropbox-uploads-extremly-slow/td-p/314997

I have already tried the following and they did not solve my problem:

- restarting my laptop

- restarting my router

- turning my wifi on and off on my laptop

- pausing and resuming sync on dropbox app on my laptop

- setting the dropbox app upload bandwidth limit to "no limit"

I tested my internet speed and I should have 70-80 Mbps download / 10-20 Mpbs upload. On Dropbox I've only been getting a dismal 1-3 kbps upload speed! I had one 80-megabyte file that was taking days to "sync" to Dropbox. I moved it to my Google Drive and it only took about minute to upload there. So it's really Dropbox that's the problem. I'm very annoyed because I've been relying on Dropbox as my primary syncing service and just renewed my subscription last April. If I can't use Dropbox properly due to the unbearably slow upload speed I'll have to move back to Google Drive.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

feanne
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for your response, @Lusil! I would like to update you that I tried using a VPN, and my Dropbox upload speed is back to normal. I suspect that my ISP might be throttling Dropbox traffic because my friend using the same ISP was also experiencing extremely slow service with Dropbox and also got their Dropbox upload speed back to normal when they turned on their VPN. So this is something you might want to suggest to other users experiencing similar.

@jojosimi @Charlene2 I was able to get back my normal Dropbox upload speed by using a VPN. It seems to be an ISP throttling issue for me. If you want to try using a VPN and need help choosing one, I found this comparison chart very honest and helpful:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @feanne, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

Since you've already tried some initial troubleshooting - awesome work by the way! - could you let me know if you've also tried temporarily closing or stopping Google Drive from running? Do you get the same experience with the Dropbox desktop app even then? 

Additionally, could you check how many items you have syncing in your Dropbox folder? 

Let me know of any updates, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

feanne
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Lusil, thanks! Actually, I've had Google Drive off for a while now because I was relying primarily on Dropbox. I only turned on Google Drive precisely because I noticed that Dropbox was taking forever to upload even tiny text files, and I really needed to sync some files with my phone, so I turned on Google Drive to try comparing upload speed.

Anyway, I tried turning off Google Drive again right now to check, and uploading some test images with the Dropbox app. Dropbox currently says it is "syncing 4 files", and all of them seem to be stuck forever with the "Waiting to sync" status.

P.S. I am using  Dropbox Version 99.4.501 (99.4.501) on Mac OS 10.14.6 @Lusil 

Charlene2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue and currently looking for a live person to ask the same concern. Following up on this as I need to upload files on my folder badly. Hopefully someone answers this as soon as possible. 

feanne
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

In addition, I've also tried the following already and they didn't help:

- moved files that are currently syncing out of Dropbox folder, wait for Dropbox desktop app to say " Up to date", then move files back to Dropbox folder

- went into Dropbox app preferences and used the "Fix Permissions" tool

- turned off Google drive and other apps and left Dropbox as the only app running

@Lusil 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @feanne, and thanks for joining us on this discussion, @Charlene2

Out of curiosity, could you also check that you have enough storage on your computer to save these files? Are you able to add them via the website and sync them normally? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jojosimi
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same problem for me.  Did all the things the OP said as well.  I have plenty of room on my computer and super fast internet.

The key here is that I used dropbox for years and it worked just fine.  Now I have the same problem on my office computer and my home computer.  So there has to be something up on Dropbox end.

feanne
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for your response, @Lusil! I would like to update you that I tried using a VPN, and my Dropbox upload speed is back to normal. I suspect that my ISP might be throttling Dropbox traffic because my friend using the same ISP was also experiencing extremely slow service with Dropbox and also got their Dropbox upload speed back to normal when they turned on their VPN. So this is something you might want to suggest to other users experiencing similar.

@jojosimi @Charlene2 I was able to get back my normal Dropbox upload speed by using a VPN. It seems to be an ISP throttling issue for me. If you want to try using a VPN and need help choosing one, I found this comparison chart very honest and helpful:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @feanne, and awesome work with the troubleshooting!

If anything else comes up in the future, just give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tuxy79
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am using TunnelBear as my VPN and I see no difference.  I have 7GB across 5 files I need to upload with speeds as slow as 10kbps.  I have a 120mbit download and 10mbit upload connection.  At this point I'm debating cancelling my account.  I'm not paying for this result.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

danealonso Explorer | Level 3
    NewVine New member | Level 2
    longbranch New member | Level 2
    Tuxy79 Helpful | Level 5
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?