cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My client saw that the file was being viewed by other people

Fake activity?

DoctorDada
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yesterday I uploaded a movie file to Dropbox for some friends to download. Immediately after, I decided to check from a browser that wasn't logged in, to see what it would look like for them if they didn't have a Dropbox account. I was shocked to discover, under “Activity”: “Patricia Johnson downloaded this file” and “Anthony Abate viewed this file” (neither name recognised by me):

(Not logged in)(Not logged in)

So, then I logged in to investigate, but only saw “Traffic and insights: See who’s visiting... Upgrade to Dropbox Professional to start tracking.”:

(Logged in)(Logged in)

Surely this isn’t a scare tactic to get me to upgrade to a paid account, is it??

12 Replies 12

Ben Amada
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is confusing and was questioned by our CEO on who Patricia and Anthony are.

Rustle
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is surely the most stupid and utterly idiotic feature I have ever seen. I'm now having to look at moving all shared files out of Dropbox because I'm embarassed by my clients seeing that 'Patricia Johnson' and 'Anthony Abate' have also viewed the files even though they are spurious users who have been added by Dropbox to make it appear that Dropbox is going to tell everyone who looks at the files that they have looked at the files to anyone else who looks at the files even though I have taken time to ensure the settings do not allow this!!! 

This makes it look like we are committing a personal security breach by using Dropbox even though we aren't. 

Why do this?

What purpose can this serve Dropbox?

rmcpartland
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Horrible dark pattern that needs removing. It's not clear that this is an example of activity and serves only to upsell and create worry that uninvited guests are viewing files.

Need more support?