cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Directories

Highlighted

File Directories

Explorer | Level 3

I had real trouble with Dropbox so deleted it altogether. However Dropbox seems to have created its own folder which mirrors my normal files and copies any files I create on my PC. If I try to delete this folder it deletes all my personal files and I can seem to stop this Dropbox clone structure from wanting to mirror my normal file structure. It has created a Dropbox/My PC clone that means if I save a file it saves it in my normal Documents area and is somehow linked to this unwanted My PC thing. Deleting My PC deletes everything in my own personal areas. Having deleted Dropbox I am still being nheld ransom by it. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: File Directories

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@nickhs wrote:
... How do I remove the link as I no longer have Dropbox loaded????

Why need you Dropbox loaded? 🤔 Yes, you can carefully revert back from the "backup" feature, as described in documentation for convenience. But this is only for convenience and not mandatory. Dropbox isn't the only program using links. You can create links wherever you want for your convenience, if applicable. 😉 Removing link is the same as removing a file or folder. You can do it using your file explorer or appropriate shell commands, whatever is convenient for you. That's it.

Let's hope this will help.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Hi @nickhs,

The folder is the same - simply has moved into Dropbox folder and a link pointing to the new place reside on the old (actual) one. It's not a clone, it's the same! That's why once deleted it disappears from... everywhere. Don't use "Dropbox Backup", it's buggy somehow. Do it yourself if needed. 😉 In such a way would be more clear what-where is.

Hope this adds clarity.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for responding to my query. As I no longer use Dropbox I have lost access to the Dropbox Help area.Does that mean that despite no longer using Dropbox at all, I am still stuck with this duplicate Dropbox folder that mirrors all my personal files. Even when I secure my files using a detachable disc, delete the Dropbox folder (and therefore all my personal files) and reload from the remote disc, the same Dropbox structure  returns. How do I get rid of it or am I stuck forever with this folder??

Highlighted

@nickhs wrote:

... Does that mean that despite no longer using Dropbox at all, I am still stuck with this duplicate Dropbox folder that mirrors all my personal files. ...

Hi @nickhs,

Seems you haven't read my previous post. 🙂 Nothing has been mirrored; just you think so (erroneously)! That's where the issue comes from.

@nickhs wrote:

... I secure my files using a detachable disc, .... How do I get rid of it or am I stuck forever with this folder??

As I said you unintentionally have moved your folders in the Dropbox folder and replaced them with links (through Dropbox application, the "Backup" feature - more precisely). You can get rid of in following just opposite order. You should remove the links, at the beginning, not the actual data, as you had done before! 😉 Once your data are secure, you can get them back at their original position, at the position of the just removed links. That's it.

Good luck.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Many thanksfor for trying to help me,

. I am still in the dark. How do I remove the link as I no longer have Dropbox loaded????

Highlighted

@nickhs wrote:
... How do I remove the link as I no longer have Dropbox loaded????

Why need you Dropbox loaded? 🤔 Yes, you can carefully revert back from the "backup" feature, as described in documentation for convenience. But this is only for convenience and not mandatory. Dropbox isn't the only program using links. You can create links wherever you want for your convenience, if applicable. 😉 Removing link is the same as removing a file or folder. You can do it using your file explorer or appropriate shell commands, whatever is convenient for you. That's it.

Let's hope this will help.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?