cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Locking Option not Showing

File Locking Option not Showing

Elliott_Brown
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I understand there is now the ability to lock and unlock files on Dropbox however the option is not showing for me when I follow the instructions here. Right-clicking on my desktop file does not bring up the options and neither does the online portal clicking the ellipsis.

I have checked in the admin settings and the ability to lock files is activated so not sure why it isn't accessible. Any help on how to resolve this and have the feature available would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elliott_Brown
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter

Thanks for reaching out. I had tried the toggling off and on again. Always the first thing to try on anything IT related.

However, the option to lock file editing was available today when I checked. So I believe what you said about it being a new feature rolling out was bang on.

So we are all sorted. Have a good one. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello there @Elliott_Brown, I hope you're having a great Monday so far!

Just out of curiosity, did you recently enable the file locking feature on your team account?

Just to rule out a few possibilities, can you just try and see if you can see the option when using another web browser? Or through an incognito/private browsing window?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Elliott_Brown
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Daphne
As Mondays go not too bad so far. Hope yours is great too.

In answer to your first question, it wasn't something I had enabled but when I was looking for why the option to lock wasn't available I checked my settings and it was there and activated.

The Lock Editing setting option is available in my Admin settings on both a Chrome and Safari browser as well as in an Incognito Chrome window. However, the option to then lock edit on the files in my Dropbox is still not showing across all the above. Only options showing when clicking the ellipsis:
-Download
-Send Transfer
-Request files
-Star
-Rename
-Move
-Copy
-Delete
-Events
-View in admin console
-Pin to Archive
-Pin to…

Let me know if you need me to do anything else.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for all the info @Elliott_Brown!

To have a better look into this, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile.

When you have the chance, please check your inbox and we can take it from there.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Elliott_Brown; how are you today?

I'm sorry for the nudge here; are you still having issues with this?

If you do, kindly note that our File locking feature just moved out from its beta phase and is gradually being rolled out to all Dropbox Business users in early 2020, so the feature may not be available to you until the rollout is complete.

Just out of curiosity, could you go into your account's settings (within the Admin Console) and toggle the feature off and then back to on?

Here's a direct link for you (assuming you're on an account with Team Admin rights): 

https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/settings/file_locking

Keep us posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Elliott_Brown
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter

Thanks for reaching out. I had tried the toggling off and on again. Always the first thing to try on anything IT related.

However, the option to lock file editing was available today when I checked. So I believe what you said about it being a new feature rolling out was bang on.

So we are all sorted. Have a good one. 

shreyasaila
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

am still not able to find the file locking option after clicking the on and off option in lock setting help me

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @shreyasaila; welcome to our Community and thanks for joining the discussion here.

Can you please let me know if you're having issues with using the file locking feature on our website or via the desktop app or perhaps both? 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?