cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Locking Questions

Highlighted

File Locking Questions

Advanced Collaborator | Level 15

Hi, I have a few questions about the file locking feature.

1. Can anyone with editing access lock files?
  2. Do files have to be IN a shared folder to be locked? I tried to lock a file that is not in a folder but didn't see the locking option.

Thank you!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @jazzmeg1, I’ll do my best to answer your inquiries! How are are you today? 

#1. Yes, that's right
#2. That's correct, the feature aims to add extra layer of control to shared folder members. 

I hope I’ve covered everything; please let me know if you have any follow-up questions Meg! 

[Edit: I've edited my post, as I had the initial message on my view when typing this.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @jazzmeg1, I’ll do my best to answer your inquiries! How are are you today? 

#1. Yes, that's right
#2. That's correct, the feature aims to add extra layer of control to shared folder members. 

I hope I’ve covered everything; please let me know if you have any follow-up questions Meg! 

[Edit: I've edited my post, as I had the initial message on my view when typing this.]

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for the quick reply. very helpful!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Perfect @jazzmeg1! 😊 

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts/feedback on how your team has been using the feature if/when you have some spare time. No rush, I just think that your story would be helpful to your fellow Community members, since you’re one of our Experienced Collaborators. 

Thanks again & take care until we talk again! 

Jane

Hi

Here is one feedback.

We like the feature, but it would be nice if files could be locked from the Desktop app.

So far, seems like you can use the feature from the website and a file explorer.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Meg!

While file locking isn’t currently supported in the Dropbox desktop app, I can see that other admins have also enrolled & it’s great to see how you’re getting on. 

Thanks again for keeping in touch. Have a wonderful weekend ahead! 

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

This new feature is good, however a prompt needs to come up to remind the user to unlock the file once they have finished or for it to automatically unlock on exit. I also agree that it would be usueful if you could unlock from the desktop and not have to log in to the web.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @carolransford, thanks for checking in with us and taking the time to share your thoughts on our file locking feature! 

If you have any other ideas of new features that you'd like to see implemented in the future, you can post it here where other like-minded users can comment and upvote.

For any other questions, we're only just a post away. Cheers!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?