cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Request Deadlines

Highlighted

File Request Deadlines

Explorer | Level 4

Heya!

I'm trying to set up the File Request feature. I have an option to enforce a deadline. My question is that, if someone were to start uploading a file before the deadline, but the upload was still in proccess when the deadline passed, would it still go through? The reason I'm asking this is because of how long it takes to upload on file requests. So if a user starts uploading a video at 11:55 AM, and the deadline is at 12:00 PM, but the upload is only 50% finished when noon hits, does that go through?

Thank you so much,

Tanush

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: File Request Deadlines

Dropboxer

Hey there @yadavt, thanks for reaching out to us here!

That's a very interesting question, and indeed it's not something I've tested out myself. From what I know, if the upload is part way through when the deadline is reached, the upload should be accepted.

Trying to upload after the deadline would result in an error message and not be accepted. Having said that, I will indeed double check on this to gather some more info and see if that is indeed the case.

Upload speeds to the file request link would also depend on the size of the file and the Internet Service Provider of the person uploading. If you're not expecting large files (more than a few GB) then generally speaking, with a good connection, 5 mins should be enough to upload the file.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Hello Daphne,

Thanks for the quick response! I’d really appreciate it if you could test that out and get back to me about it. Unfortunately, I don’t have Dropbox Pro yet so I cannot test it myself, but if the deadlines functionality does work as you predicted, that should be enough reason to upgrade to Pro.

Thank you very much!
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hey @Daphne!

It's been a few days so I was wondering if you got my message. I have an additional question. You mentioned that it should take about five minutes max to upload a file. For me, I had a 1.2 GB file that I uploaded on high speed internet (download speeds above 80, upload speeds around 6), and it took about 20 minutes. I had a few friends try it out and they got basically the same thing. I was wondering if there's a reason for the discrepancy and if the uploads can be faster? Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @yadavt!

I did indeed, I'm still checking on this for you to make sure that I gather the correct information. Apologies for the delay with this.

Regarding the speed, this would be dependent on your Internet connections, this was just purely an estimate based on personal experience. 

I'll be in touch as soon as possible with an update!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hey @Daphne,

It’s been over a week so I was wondering if you have an update.

Thanks,
Tanush

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne, is there any update? It's been over a month now.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @yadavt, thank you for your patience while I checked on this for you!

With this, the expected behaviour with uploading to the file request link will be that if the upload is not completed before the deadline, that the upload will fail.

The uploads will need to be completed before the deadline passes to ensure that the file is correctly uploaded and won't fail.

It may be that an upload could be successful when finishing after the deadline, but this would be an "exceptional" case.

I hope that this info helps, please do let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?