cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Requests Require Name & Email

File Requests Require Name & Email

Darin_F
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why is the receiver of a File Request required to enter their first and last name, and their email address before they can upload the file?

It's cool that they don't have to have a dropbox account to give me their file, but i don't understand what the reason would be behind requiring their name and email.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there  Darlin - how are you today?

I guess it would be weird (to say the least) if others uploaded files to your account without you being able to verify any of their (identifiable) information.

As you know, currently, users who do not have a Dropbox account can submit files via the File request feature. These users can receive an upload link in their email account and can use that link to upload files stored on their device's hard drive. The user only needs to have access to their email account to use the provided link (it must be a valid email address). 

I hope this helps to some extent while I'll be passing your thoughts on to the dev team for their consideration - thank you for your feedback on this one @Darin_F

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with please.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there  Darlin - how are you today?

I guess it would be weird (to say the least) if others uploaded files to your account without you being able to verify any of their (identifiable) information.

As you know, currently, users who do not have a Dropbox account can submit files via the File request feature. These users can receive an upload link in their email account and can use that link to upload files stored on their device's hard drive. The user only needs to have access to their email account to use the provided link (it must be a valid email address). 

I hope this helps to some extent while I'll be passing your thoughts on to the dev team for their consideration - thank you for your feedback on this one @Darin_F

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with please.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Darin_F
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Walter,

Thank you for the reply.

Technically I already know who's uploading the information because they would be the only person I sent the link to.

Entering their name is fine. Requiring their email, when I'm not going to do anything with their email.. Not sure about that one, but thank you for your time.

Darin

Darin_F
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Actually I do have one more question...

The name that they enter, I believe appears in the file's name that they upload. Where does their email appear, so that I (the receiver of the file) can see it?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your prompt reply Darin - much appreciated!

I understand what you're saying and it makes sense to some extent but think what could happen if this link (the one you're sending) was somehow leaked (or even distributed without your permission) to random people or other similar scenarios. 

Let me know if you have any further concerns please; I'll be happy to follow up if needed.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

pop4richard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It looks like there is nothing to stop anyone with the link to upload to ones dropbox anyway. Having someone leave a name and email address does not stop this, expecially as poeple can put any name or email address they wish. It is still unanswered where the email address goes to as it is not to the person who creates the email link, so your answer is evasive. Regards Richard.

chawkins
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For us, I want the clients who are uploading files to have confidence that their email address is not getting sold off or used for marketing. Can you confirm?

thewhitehouse
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Both of which are annoying features that are making myself and customers move away from dropbox File uploads.
Collecting the Customers email address is not necessary as this is only for the benefit of the dropbox marketing team.
Changing the name of my files by appending the customers' name, has broken my file processing scripts as I have to go through and remove all of the prepending names.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

thewhitehouse Helpful | Level 5
    chawkins New member | Level 2
    pop4richard New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Darin_F New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?