cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File access wrongly allowed to another laptop profile

File access wrongly allowed to another laptop profile

mww
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there, I have Dropbox installed within my personal profile on a laptop (Macbook Pro running OS Big Sur 11.1).  I share a single folder with my partner who has a separate profile on the same laptop, and her Dropbox folder sits within her profile.

When my partner searches for a file by name, all files within my entire Dropbox folder are included in that search, with matches shown and available to her to open.  She can't browse my folders; only her own files, folders and the shared folder are visible to her, but the search function somehow pulls up results from beyond her permissions.  Searches from my profile don't bring up anything from hers though.  I've double checked that other folders aren't unwittingly shared.

Its not a major issue because I don't have anything I want to keep secret, but it isn't right.  Any ideas as to why this might be the case would be very much appreciated!

Max

3 Replies 3

Re: File access wrongly allowed to another laptop profile

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @mww, thanks for messaging the Community!

Just for clarification, you are definitely using two different Dropbox accounts, and two different Dropbox folders on the same laptop under different profiles, and you're only sharing one folder via Dropbox.

What happens if she clicks the search result? Does it open the file, or the location?

Any other info or screenshots (while hiding personal info) would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mww
Explorer | Level 3
Hi there!

Yes, as you suggested, it is 2 users each with their own Dropbox accounts, using the same laptop from individual user profiles. We each have multiple files and folders in our individual Dropbox accounts, but share one folder for common domestic stuff.

If my partner clicks on any of my files that appear in her search results, they open up just as though she had the correct permissions.

It’s really doing my head in!

Thanks

Jay
Dropboxer
Was the file located in the Dropbox folder on your computer profile when it was opened?

Could you forward a screenshot showing how it appears in the search bar, while hiding any file names?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?