cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File couldn't be opened

File couldn't be opened

LeahLaRocke
New member | Level 2

When I do a search for my files I can see that the file I'm looking for is there, I open the file and can see all my pictures in small icons with a little cloud in the bottom right corner but then when I click on the picture or try to move the file is says, "Couldn't be opened". Does anyone know what's happening and why I'm not able to open my files??

HELP!!!!!

3 Replies 3

Re: File couldn't be opened

Rich
Super User II

@LeahLaRocke wrote:

... I open the file and can see all my pictures in small icons with a little cloud in the bottom right corner but then when I click on the picture or try to move the file is says, "Couldn't be opened".

It sounds like your files are marked as Online-only, meaning they don't actually exist on your local hard drive. Normally, double-clicking such a file would cause Dropbox to download it before the file is opened, but if that's not happening (or not happening fast enough), then your apps wouldn't be able to open the files.

Try right-clicking one of the files and selecting Smart Sync and then Local. Wait for the cloud icon to turn into a green check mark and then try to open the file again.

LeahLaRocke
New member | Level 2

yes, I figured out that much but now it's just two arrows in a circle - I'm assuming it's trying to find the file??

Rich
Super User II

@LeahLaRocke wrote:

yes, I figured out that much but now it's just two arrows in a circle - I'm assuming it's trying to find the file??

That means the file is syncing. Give it some time and it will change to a green check when it's complete. The larger the file, the longer it will take.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    LeahLaRocke New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?