cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File is gone for me after someone else edits it, but they still see it.

Highlighted

File is gone for me after someone else edits it, but they still see it.

Explorer | Level 3

This has happened a couple times.  When I edit a file, both myself and my partner can view and edit it.  When she edits the file, I no longer can see it, but she still sees it.  She just edited the file.  Didn't move or change any permissions to the file.    Is there an known issue and fix for this?  

Thank you

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: File is gone for me after someone else edits it, but they still see it.

Super User II

What is www.dropbox.com/events showing?

My guess is she is moving the file to another location to work on it - you'd see that as a deletion on the events log. She then isnt returning it back to the folder after editing.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I literally watched her edit the file.  She went to "Open in excel for web."  edtied the file, then closed it out.  There was no deletion or moving of the file on her ened.  However, the log shows:

MA
Marli Araujo edited the file PI2020.xlsx
7/4/2020 11:03 AM
MA
Marli Araujo added the file PI2020.xlsx
7/4/2020 11:02 AM
MA
MA
Marli  deleted the file FCAA056F.tmp
MA
Marli added the file FCAA056F.tmp
7/4/2020 11:00 AM
MA
Marli A deleted the file PI2020.xlsx
7/4/2020 11:00 AM
MA
Marli edited the file PI2020.xlsx
7/4/2020 10:53 AM

I'm not sure why it swould show this, given I observed all activity during this time?  

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @DragonBK!

From what we can see in the events there, a temp file is being created while she's editing the file which causes the original file to be deleted and added back after editing is completed. 

Usually, temp files are used to free up memory for other processes and temporarily store info while editing. 

Just to clarify, when she edits the file you're no longer able to see this file in your account, right? When this happens, can you ask her to click the "Share" option for this file and see if it's still shared with you?

Since there's no settings that we could use to disable temp files being created when editing, perhaps adding this file into a shared folder instead will work better if the file is being unshared with you.

Even if the file is deleted and replaced with temp files, as the folder would be shared instead you'll see the file there still after it's been added back when edited.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

This is correct that after she edits the file, I am no longer able to see it.  However, this time the file did reappear a  couple of days later.  Previously when this happened, she had to download the file, send it to me, and I reuploaded it.  

To prevetn this in the future, are you suggesting we move the file to a shared folder, and this should prevent it from happening again?  Even though it's happening with a shared file?  When I edit the file, it never becomes unviewable to her.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that @DragonBK.

When the file reappeared, did she perhaps reshare the file with you manually?

The behaviour is a little strange, but moving the file into a shared folder should ensure that the file remains shared with you should this happen again. Since the folder itself would be shared with you, you'll be able to see all the contents of the folder when new files are added or edited for example. 

As to why this is happening, I'm not 100% certain. Since this is occurring during the editing of the file with the Office Online integration, I would suggest reaching out to Microsoft Support to see if they can assist with this.

They would have a much better insight as to why the file appears to be creating a temp file and deleting/adding the file. It may be that this only occurs for here due to differences in your devices or even browsers that you may be using.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with finding the reason this is happening, but I hope the workaround with using a shared folder will help with this in the meantime.

Keep me posted with any questions or updates!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm positive she did nothing outside of editing the fie.  No moving around or changnig permissions on her part.  I may play around with it and have her edit it again and see if the log reveals anything.  Thank you for your help.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?