cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File not updating on other computer

File not updating on other computer

monical3
New member | Level 2

My client and I use dropbox for me to work on his quickbooks file.  I recently got a new computer and since then it doesn't appear that my changes are showing on his end in his Quickbooks.  I installed dropbox and the same version of quickbooks on my new computer.  I logged into drop box and open the quickbooks file through the drop box folder.  But my updates aren't showing in the file when he opens its.  He is waiting for the files to sync before opening, and I make sure drop box is synced before shutting down, just as we have always done.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Re: File not updating on other computer

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @monical3, thanks for checking in with us. 

In general, we don't recommend syncing live databases with your Dropbox account, since most databases have remote access methods.

However, do you see the updated version of the files via the web? 

Could you also check the version of your file on the device you originally edited it on?

Give me a shout whenever you have any updates on this, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

monical3
New member | Level 2

I don't think either of us have remote access to our computers.  Using drop box is the only way we can figure out how to have me work on his quickbooks file to do the accounting.  We can't be in the file at the same time, but it is how we both are able to work on the same file.  I'd be happy to take suggestions if you know of any other way!!!  I'm just not sure how we can easily work in the same quickbooks file.

I'm not sure what you mean about seeing if the files are updated via the web.  I only check in my drop box app on my computer to see if the files are updated.  I can see when the files are done syncing by looking at the icon on the bottom right of my screen.  

I am not able to check the version of the Quickbooks file I originally edited on because that computer isn't working, but I know we are both using Quickbooks 2019, so it should be the same version, right?

I checked our file paths and it appears we are opening the same file.  

If you have any thoughts, please let me know.  Thank you!

Lusil
Dropboxer
Could you try moving one of the files out of your Dropbox folder, saving any relevant changes locally, and then moving them back to your Dropbox folder?

Once the file shows that it's up to date, ask the other user what they see from their end and repeat the process. 

Although this might not be the most ideal workaround, give it a try and let me know how it goes. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?