cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File on Dropbox site not appearing in Dropbox desktop app

Highlighted

File on Dropbox site not appearing in Dropbox desktop app

Explorer | Level 3

As described in the subject ever since I have Dropbox I had to face with this big problem.
Some files just don’t sync with the dropbox folder installed by the desktop Dropbox program for windows.
Whole files appear on the web app and in the ios app instead

Why do this happens? What should I do to solve the problem?
Isn’t there a number for assistance or just the community?

Thanks
Franco

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: File on Dropbox site not appearing in Dropbox desktop app

Dropboxer

Hi @Francopolato, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Your support options depend on your account's current plan, and you can check out those options from this page. I'd be more than happy to help from here though!

Since the file isn't syncing from your account online to your local computer, can you check if there are any incompatible characters within the file names? You can check out a full list of these characters here.

Also, please let me know the sync status of the desktop app and the version that you have installed on your computer.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Daphne,

unfortunately the links you provided don't work, they seem to be simply text.

I checked  for special charachter anyway and I dndn't found any. I mean in a specific folder some pdf file are synced otheres are not and all files present the same range of characters, which don't include special ones exept for a comma, since the filename are generated automatically.

the dropbbox sync status is up to date and the program version is 102.4.431

usually the files get synched right away, and if they won't in a little time, then they won't ever.

Awaiting your kind reply express best regards

Franco Polato

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Francopolato.

I've just amended the links in my post, sorry about that! If you didn't already check out the article that is (now correctly) linked above, can you have a look there for me and see if there's any characters that might have been missed?

Also, can you check in the following location for me to see if anything issues are reported:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right corner.
  3. Choose "View Sync issues".

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

I read the articles you sent me and I can assure you that any of the mentioned special characters are part of the non synching files' filename.

As regard to the View Synch issues the only thing I can see in that windows is Personal, no errors:

Capture.PNG

I noticed that the last issue occurred when I used to save the files in an iOS app called Documents, which has a synched folder with Dropbox.

The files got successful updated in the cloud but didn't get download in the windows Dropbox folder.

Many other file keep not being downloaded in the folder mentioned above, and I don't know why. I can't rely on the windows program as long as I will be sure that the same file stored in the cloud are present inside my hard drive and this is frustating.

I hope we will be able to find a solution.

Thanks

Franco

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @Francopolato, thanks for the confirming that for us. 

Since the files don't have any incompatible characters - great work on the troubleshooting by the way! - could it be that the folder you're looking for is selectively synced

Let us know what you find, cheers!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?