cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File requests: Best practices

File requests: Best practices

Birsay
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

My students turn in their homework with Dropbox requests once a week. They are children.

It is convenient for all the students in the class to turn their work in to the same folder every week, week after week. After I receive it, I check it and move the checked file into a different (shared) folder that only each student can see for privacy reasons.

Our current method is very clunky and I want to make it easier.

I made an initial Dropbox request and sent everyone the link many months ago.

Parents try to find the right link somewhere in their messages folder each week for the children to use and turn in. Or some copy the link to some separate location, like in a Notes app or something.

They are all using mobile phones. When they click the link, it opens a browser (still inside their messaging app it seems). Students have to accept cookies and type in their name and email address every time—in addition to taking photos of their handwritten work and uploading them.

This doesn't seem like all that much—until you do it a hundred times.

We asked the parents to install Dropbox on their devices. They did. Even so, the link opens a browser and doesn't recognize the device or student. At least, it should open the app (can't seem to figure out how to do that). And there doesn't seem to be a way to upload to the file request starting from within the app—only by tapping the link, which is stored in some other app.

Isn't there a simple method to this, like having the students just open the app and tap on something that takes them to the file request?

How can I set up something like that? There doesn't seem to be any way to "remember" file requests one has used before in the app.

I don't want to share the folder in the usual way with everyone, because the students shouldn't see each other's homework. They should just upload files that disappear and then reappear when I put them in their checked homework folder shared with them.

There are many people involved with this and I want their experience to be as painless as possible. Hopefully, they will think of Dropbox as something convenient and easy.

I would be grateful for any help with this!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If you have any feature requests or suggestions, you can always post them in the Share an Idea section @Birsay

Take care and see you around the Community!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Birsay, thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

I'm afraid I can't think of any other way to achieve this other than the one you outlined in your message. 

I'll leave this thread open for anyone who might have a suggestion for you.

Let me know if you have anything else to ask or add.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Birsay
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for letting me know.

I guess it could be one way in which Dropbox could innovate if anyone else finds these ideas useful.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If you have any feature requests or suggestions, you can always post them in the Share an Idea section @Birsay

Take care and see you around the Community!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?