cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File requests share limitations

File requests share limitations

New member | Level 2

Hi Dropbox gurus,

I have a 2TB account and I want to know what the restrictions are whan I create File Requests. I have a project for which I need to create 9, write only, folders and then email the Dropbox link for each to around 150 users. In the info section on File Requests it suggests that you might receive an error message if the link is shared to too many addresses. Crucially it doesn't give an indication of how many 'too many' is.

Anyone out there have any experience of this?

Kindest regards,

J

3 Replies 3

Re: File requests share limitations

Dropboxer

Hey @JamesDayCo, thanks for posting!

Since you have a similar question, I would suggest checking out Jay's post here for some more info on this.

If you simply copy the link and send it to the 150 recipients through other means (eg. email or text message), then the only limits you might need to consider is the bandwidth for the link per day.

You can check this out under "What are the bandwidth limits on my links?" from this article.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

thank you, that was a most helpful reply and I have read and understood the additional information you pointed me to.

Some further context: I am collating around 500 PowerPoint and PDF presentations for a Large Medical Symposium and will be using 9 File Requests to gather the presentations from the contributing Medical Students and Professionals. This process will take place over a couple of weeks in February but the links will all be sent on the same day.

So...

I will be sending out my File Request URLs in an email so won't encounter any limit - that's great.

The files I'm requesting will vary in size but there is no way they'd exceed the 20gb daily bandwidth limit (probably no more that a few hundred MB) so I won't exceed that limit either.

I'm still nervous that some sort of ban might be put on my File Requests and it will be impossible for me to send them again, as I am forwarding them to a client and she will be sending out the emails to the individual presenters. Clearly a ban would be both embarrassing and very inconvenient.

Given I definitely won't exceed any limits in the Dropbox system can I be assured 100% that my links won't be banned?

I hope you can apreciate why this such an important question for me resolve.

Kindest regards,

J

Dropboxer

I'm glad I could help out with this @JamesDayCo!

Since you're sure that you won't be hitting that daily limit, then you should be good to go.

If, by any chance, you do end up reaching that limit and the links are banned, you can always reach out to our Support team for assistance, even if it's just to clarify the reason.

I could suggest, when you email out the link, to just add a note that if anyone is having issues with uploading to the link (eg. upload failing), to contact you directly.

Even if an upload is failing, it can still count towards the bandwidth for the time it's trying to upload. In this case, if they keep trying to upload to the link, it would cause additional traffic.

The other reason links could be banned is if it contains any copyrighted material (as mentioned in the article I sent you previously).

Hope that clarifies the matter for you. As always, I'm just a post away if you think of anything else!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?