cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File sharing without “sharee” needing Dropbox account

File sharing without “sharee” needing Dropbox account

La Rosa
New member | Level 2

I haven’t been able to find the answer to this question / issue I’m experiencing and looking for help. 

I have a Professional Dropbox account for our homeowner association.

I need to be able to share files / folders with members of the association and our property manager. I have set-up top-level folders with different accesses (i.e., Board only, Commercial Owners, Residential Owners, All Owners & Property Manager, etc.). As these files contain HOA financial information, as well some personal information (e.g., email and phone number of owners), I have set these files up so that only those with whom the files / folders are shared can view. That is, I don’t want anyone to be able to forward / share the link to grant someone not associated with the HOA access. From time-to-time we also need to supply a Buyers Package with certain (current) HOA documents as part of real estate transaction disclosures, which I want to manage by providing a short-term link (i.e., link with expiration). I also want the option to remove Owners from access when they sell to further protect the current owners and information. No one except the owner (me) has edit privileges.

When I send the link to someone - whether it is via the Dropbox “share” option or if I copy the link and send it via email - the person I want to have access is being asked to login to Dropbox. 

I saw some of the other questions / responses similar to this issue and the users are NOT being asked if they want to create a Dropbox account and there is no option for them to opt out. (Screenshot from one person below.)

.3F6F7B35-388D-490A-A229-A76E223131E8.jpeg

I want to maintain safety of our files and share them with limited audience WITHOUT requiring them to have a Dropbox account because most of them do not and will not create one. (Our community is comprised of brilliant, amazing people who do not love computers or find figuring out things on a computer the least bit interesting.)

Is there a way to do what I want /need to do?

Thank you,
Cindy (of La Rosa)

2 Replies 2

Re: File sharing without “sharee” needing Dropbox account

Rich
Super User II

@La Rosa wrote:

Is there a way to do what I want /need to do?

Short answer, no.

If you use a shared link, then anyone that you send the link to will be able to view and download the content without a Dropbox account. They'll also be able to forward that link on to anyone else without your knowledge, and they would be able to see the content as well.

If you share to a specific email address so access is limited to that person, then a Dropbox account is required.

Re: File sharing without “sharee” needing Dropbox account

La Rosa
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your reply, Rich.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

La Rosa New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?