cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File syncing for 6 days and not able to be located

File syncing for 6 days and not able to be located

Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

I recently started using Dropbox for files I need to share with coworkers. I was working on a particular Adobe Acrobat PDF file last Friday (10/9/2020) and when I was finished I saved it to my drobox folder on my desktop--nowhere else. When I open my widows file explorer the file in question shows up under recents on my quick access page. However, when I try to open it I get an error message that says the file cannot be found. The file does have the blue, rotating arrows sync symbol as it has had since Friday when I originally tried daving the PDF to my Dropbox. When I open my dropbox on desktop, in browser or on my phone this file does not show up in the defualt Dropbox folder. When I right click on the file to select view on Dropbox.com a browser window opens and at the top the error message says "The folder 'insert file name' does not exist." My desktop Dropbox app will open if I right click on the file in Windows file explorer and select Open in Dropbox, but the file does not show. Just the default folder and it's contents. I have also tried accessing this file from the recents list on Adobe Acrobat, however, it's not even listed here.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could at the very least view the file?

Thank you!

Ash

6 Replies 6

Re: File syncing for 6 days and not able to be located

Dropboxer

Hi @ashmarie11, thanks for posting today!

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. When you said you were working on the file, where were you working from, the Adobe app, the site, or via another service?

Was there are original file for you to edit, and if so where was that located?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

It was originally a PDF file that is a template I have. It's saved to another folder on just on my computer. I opened the original PDF document and was working on it in Adobe Acrobat. Before closing I chose Save As and selected my Dropbox Folder on my computer.

Ash

Dropboxer

When you saved the file, can you confirm that you saw it appear in the Dropbox folder itself, or only in the Recents tab? Where is the file with the blue syncing icon that you mentioned?

If not, then it sounds like the Adobe app didn't save the file correctly. You can try again and save it to a different location, and then copy or move the PDF to the Dropbox folder.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I cannot confirm that it appeared in the Dropbox folder. I usually don't double check that sort of thing because I have never had any issues before when saving things to Dropbox. The file in question is the file with the blue syncing symbol and the only place I can find it is in recent files. However, when I try to open it the file cannot be located...I'm assuming because it never finished syncing. I cannot open it at all. I can open the original template that is only saved to my computer. However, that means all the work I did is gone. I've tried moving and copying the file from recent files to my desktop and other places and it says the file cannot be located to move in the first place.

Dropboxer

Hey @ashmarie11, could you try these steps to fix any hardlinks and permissions on your Windows machine? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Unfortunately, it's now not showing up in my recent files either. I cannot locate it at all. Did try the steps in that link earlier this week when I first discovered the issue and did some searching through the archives here. Thank you both so much for your help! I will just be recreating the document and saving it another way.

Thank you,

Ash

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?