cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File syncs between 2 computers

File syncs between 2 computers

Johnny_Row
New member | Level 2

How does Dropbox determine which files are the same to sync on 2 computers.  Do the files have to have identical names and folder paths?  Do I have to put the Dropbox folder in the same location on both?

When I add Dropbox to the 2nd, does it automatically add all Dropbox files from 1st computer?  What if I only want certain few files to be located on both?

1 Reply 1

Re: File syncs between 2 computers

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi @Johnny_Row, thanks for posting your questions here!

Generally, any item you put into your Dropbox folder will sync to the web and other devices. 

You can choose which folders sync to a device by selectively syncing them, which is used to also save local space.

If you add an identical file in another folder inside of your Dropbox account, it'll be added normally, as it's not considered a duplicate.

However, if you add a file with the same name in the same location, depending on which platform you are using, it might replace the previous one, be added as a copy, or prompt you for an action. 

As for the Dropbox folder itself that gets created after you install the desktop app, it can be moved to another location on your device. You'll find more about this, here

I hope this information helps, but let me know if you have any other queries or issues along the way. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?