cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File type different on different devices

File type different on different devices

Jeremy C.12
Explorer | Level 3

I store some log files in DropBox and sync the files with two computers, an iMac and a MacBook Air. I recently noticed that the file type of each log file is different on the two devices. On the iMac, it is ASCII text while on the MBBA it is data. The result is that I cannot do the analysis I want on the copy in the MBA.

I have no idea whether the problem is anything to do with DropBox, and wouold welcome any suggestions for how I can ensure that the file is ASCII text on the MBA too.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Re: File type different on different devices

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Jeremy C.12, thanks for your post!

Are you sure that these are the same exact files?

Can you send us a couple of screenshots showing this issue, while making sure that any personal info is hidden?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jeremy C.12
Explorer | Level 3

Sure. Here are two JPEGs showing the file and terminal with results of `file filename` for the same file.

on the iMacon the iMacon the MBAon the MBA

So this is the "same" file, in my local Dropbox folder, of the same size, same time, same everything (as far as I can tell) except that the file type is different on the two devices.

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update on this, Jeremy and sorry for the delay. 

Can you try to move one of the files in question out of the Dropbox folder on your MacBook and then move it back in, to see if that makes any difference?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jeremy C.12
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for suggestion. Yes, moving a file from DropBox to Desktop changed the file type to ASCII text, with very long lines.

When I moved it back into DropBox, the file type stayed correct, as ASCII.

But if I copy the file to a different folder, the filetype does not apparently change.

I don't want to have to move the file back and forth in order to use it. Is there a better solution?

Jeremy

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jeremy C.12 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?