cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Filenames with "/" changed to colon ":" from Mac to Windows

Filenames with "/" changed to colon ":" from Mac to Windows

mbfailing
New member | Level 2

My work assistant used a Mac to upload hundreds of documents and files related to work into my DropBox.

The issue that I have just recently discovered, was that the assistant (who no longer works for me) was using a forward-slash in some of their file-naming conventions.

Upon upload to DropBox, it seems that the forward-slash was automatically converted to a colon. Since the colon is not a supported character in Windows file-naming conventions, I am unable to see many of those files in my Windows Explorer DropBox application. They show up on the web app, but not on my PC, which is primarily where I use DropBox.

Is there any way to automatically search for files that contain a colon within the DropBox web app? I otherwise have to manually search through many hundreds of files and folders on the web app to check which files aren't named correctly. This second option seems prohibitively time consuming.

Which brings up my main question - if the forward and back slashes are not compatible characters in DropBox when naming files, why would DropBox automatically change that character to one that is not compatible with the Windows environment?

7 Replies 7

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @mbfailing,

@mbfailing wrote:

Is there any way to automatically search for files that contain a colon within the DropBox web app? ...

It's simple. Just type in search filed on your Files the corresponding character(s)/word (colon in particular case). That's it. :wink:

@mbfailing wrote:

Which brings up my main question - if the forward and back slashes are not compatible characters in DropBox when naming files, why would DropBox automatically change that character to one that is not compatible with the Windows environment?

The characters, you mentions, are incompatible to Windows environment, but not to other environments! So, that's only warning. Responsibility is entirely yours (generaly). Despite may be have a bug here - symbols replacements, as such. :thinking:

Hope this cast some light.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @mbfailing

Let's see what we can find!

Initially, I just wanted to add to what @Здравко mentions and say that the forward slash is incompatible for all OSes.

If you upload the file from a Mac device with a forward slash, it may replace it with a colon as that is how the Mac reads it in its system - although Windows won't be able to.

If you want to search for any file names with colons, you can look them up via the website if you know part of the name, or you may be able to do this through the Dropbox folder on your Mac device. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

polppol
New member | Level 2

I also found that updloading file with dash "-" in Mac like "work-2019.txt"

it will show up in Windows as "work:2019.txt"

and it cause an error when syncing file to windows.

I also have to manually fix all of them one by one

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @polppol, thanks for pitching in! :grinning:

I understand that this isn't the ideal solution for you, but I'd be more than happy to pass your comments along to the team for future review. 

Let me know if you have other queries for us!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко

Hi @Lusil,

@Lusil wrote:

Initially, I just wanted to add to what @Здравко mentions and say that the forward slash is incompatible for all OSes.

"incompatible for all OSes" is not true in fact :open_mouth:...

Anyway, It's never good practice (at least) some symbol (or symbols set) be replaced! If some symbol is not acceptable, for some reason, then just stop sync for particular file and mark that there is some problem (appropriate emblem). Unacceptable have to be only symbols problematic for Dropbox internal storage! For everything else - user responsibility (as is now). Add this to the "comments". :wink:

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @Здравко

Apologies for that, allow me to clarify that the forward slash (and backslash) is considered an incompatible character for all OSes that can run the Dropbox desktop app. 

I hope that helps clarify what I previously mentioned, but please let me know if you have any other thoughts or questions. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Здравко

Nothing more. My comment main meaning is "throw out any automatic renaming from Dropbox". That's it. :wink:

ADD: Seems backslash is not replaced with some other symbol: изображение.png

Just sync of the particular file is stopped. :wink: That's what I mean in my previous post and have to be for all cases. @Lusil, Think again for (in)compatible symbols from all OSes that can run Dropbox desktop application and how reliable is the information you cited. :thinking:

Hope this introduce additional clarity.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Need more support?