cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files DO in FACT get deleted in a certain situation that may fool you

Highlighted

Files DO in FACT get deleted in a certain situation that may fool you

Explorer | Level 3

OK, I did a couple tests (because I didn't believe what I read on the message board concerning files being deleted from my Hard Drive when I delete them from Dropbox - THIS should have been explained by the Dropbox pros.

Here goes - test it yourself if you don't believe me - I double dog dare ya'

1. You create a text file (aaa.txt) on your desktop
  2. You COPY the text file (aaa.txt) say, from your desktop to dropbox.
  3. It appears on dropbox but DISAPPEARS from your desktop.
  4. You COPY it back from dropbox to your desktop.
  5. It appears on your desktop.
  6. You update it on your desktop by typing text into it and saving it.
  7. you open the file on your desktop and the changes do, in fact, appear as expected.
  8. You view the file on dropbox,and it doesn't have the changes I made to the desktop copy - as expected.
  9. You copy the updated file back to dropbox
  10. It asks if you want to (a)replace, (b)skip or (c) compare
  11. Since I want the dropbox copy to reflect what is on my desktop, I select (a) replace.
  12. I view the file in dropbox and it did copy correctly since it now reflects the changes I made to the desktop copy. - As expected
  13. I check my desktop and the file has been deleted - at least it is not visible in file explorer or just by looking at my desktop.  – NOT as expected.

Is this the way it is supposed to work? It seems counter-intuitive to me and I suspect it would to others as well AND could lead to unexpected deleted file on your hard drive.

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Files DO in FACT get deleted in a certain situation that may fool you

Dropboxer

Hi @Dwight1955, thanks for messaging today!

I've tested this on our end and can't get the same behavior. Assuming you are copying the file from any location, it should never be deleted from the origin. Likewise, if a copy is saved on the desktop, and then you edit and save it in the Dropbox folder, the old file won't be deleted from the desktop.

The only possibility I can think of is the method in which you're copying files, or an app or OS setting that is deleting them from the origin, so this would be unrelated to Dropbox.

Does it only occur with text files? Which apps are you using when copying or editing files?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

Ok, here is what I just tested:

I have a folder on my desktop called "Cloud" and it contains shortcuts to Dropbox and OneDrive.

The previously described situation only occurs when I copy/paste the text file to the dropbox shortcut. If I do the same thing with Onedrive it works fine.

The process is as follows:

1. I create the text file "eeee.txt" by right clicking on the desktop then selecting "New" and then select "Text document".

2. I add text to the "eeee.txt document on my desktop using notepad and save it.

3. I select the file "eeee.txt" and then ctl/copy.

4. I right click on the Dropbox shortcut and select "paste".

5. The "eeee.txt" file appears in dropbox but it disappears from my desktop.

6. I copy "eeee.txt" back to my desktop.

7. It appears on my desktop (and still appears in Dropbox).

8. I modify the "eeee.txt" file on my desktop using notepad.

9. I copy the modifed version of "eeee.txt" to the Dropbox shortcut.

10. It asks if I want to replace the file in the destination and I click on that option.

11. The modified version of "eeee.txt" appears in Dropbox, but disappears from my desktop.

This does not occur with Onedrive.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

The problem I explained earlier is compounded by the possibility that, when you are running out of space (especially in the basic (free) plan where you have 5GB), and you delete the Dropbox copy of the file (assuming that it is still on your hard drive), down the road you are left wondering what happened to the file on your hard drive.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the info. This doesn't appear to be an issue with Dropbox, but more with how the OS is handling the copy/paste feature when using the shortcut.

If you copy and paste files directly into the normal Dropbox folder, and not the shortcut you created, does it work normally? 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

I guess I have a problem with your answer if you mean that the problem is only Windows (in my case Windows 10). If this were the case, it seems the problem would manifest itself with other cloud shortcuts as well - but it doesn't. The only time I have the problem is when I copy/paste a file from my hard drive to the dropbox shortcut. I think that this should be looked at as a dropbox issue (maybe in the way it works with Windows) and either it should be fixed or people should be made aware so they can avoid data loss. Please get back to me at your earliest so I can decide my next step.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I realized that I didn't answer your specific question as to whether it works just doing a copy/paste directly to the drive. It does work, but I thought I made that clear in my earlier response. I don't mean to offend you , but I am starting to feel offended by what I feel is your sidestepping the real issue. I realize that this could be an image problem as well as a technical problem for Dropbox, but it needs to be admitted first and then fixed. Please re-read my post and subsequent replies so I don't have to repeat myself. I understand how a developer feels when his/her program/application isn't working as expected - I worked in corporate IT my entire 30-year career and I know a problem when I see one and also know it should be dealt with.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

I just had an idea that will both get feedback and communicate a possibility of data loss. Why don't we explain the problem to the Dropbox community and then do a survey of whether they view this as a problem with the APP or solely an OS (Windows) issue and what they feel your response should be. If you don't have the time or still feel the same way, I volunteer to do this for you.  In the meantime maybe it would be a good idea to open a ticket with Windows support. I am sure that would be easier for you than myself since I have been retired for 10 years and operate my own farm with 56k internet speed (not dial-up). Looking forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Dwight

P.S. Sorry for the terseness, but I get that way when I feel that I am either being blown off, or worse, patronized.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Sorry for being tiresome, but your last response got my goat (I am, after all a farmer). If your next response is for me to just not copy/paste to a dropbox shortcut, but rather do that directly to dropbox, I guess I have a couple problems with that. 1) Other innocent dropbox users may be tempted to do the same thing and at least should be made aware of the danger and instructed not to do that. 2) It is like the patient who said to his physician "Doc, my arm hurts when I move it this way." - To which the doctor says "Well, then just don't move it that way".

Highlighted

Re: Basic issues using Dropbox: I hate how it works, but I'm willing to submit.

Explorer | Level 3
Speaking of quirks:
I have Windows 10 PS on my laptop and one of the cloud storage options I use is Dropbox.
I have noticed that when I copy a file from my hard drive to a dropbox shortcut, the file on my hard drive is deleted. The same thing happens if I copy an updated file to Dropbox and select the replace option. You can search for the details of my issue on the Dropbox forum by searching for "Files DO in FACT get deleted in a certain situation that may fool you*.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?