cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Files Don't Sync When Backed Up

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

When I use a backup program like Syncback and I choose a Dropbox folder as the destination the backup completes and the files are copied but they do not sync. All the files have a red x.

I can copy and paste the files manually and they sync but if I use an automated program the files copy but they do not sync.

This is a new problem, it worked in the past. I'm using Windows 7 Professional.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Files Don't Sync When Backed Up

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @tcg550, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I have a feeling that this is most likely due to incorrect file permissions, which is one of the reasons a file could show the red X icon.

When you use the automated program to move the files over, can you try the steps outlined here (clicking "Fix Permissions" in the last step) to see if that does the trick?

This should help us to narrow down the root cause and see what we can do from there.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @tcg550, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I have a feeling that this is most likely due to incorrect file permissions, which is one of the reasons a file could show the red X icon.

When you use the automated program to move the files over, can you try the steps outlined here (clicking "Fix Permissions" in the last step) to see if that does the trick?

This should help us to narrow down the root cause and see what we can do from there.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I followed the steps but when I go to Account tab there is no "Fix Hardlinks". The only choice is "Unlink This Dropbox".

I have version 89.4.278

Am I in the right place?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Oops, sorry.

I held the spacebar and those option showed up.

I tried "Fix Hardlinks" first and there was no change. Then I tried "Fix Permissions" and that did the trick.

I'll do a little more testing but it seems fixed.

Thank You!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that did the trick @tcg550!

It seems that the backup program you're using could be altering the file permissions when it makes a copy of them in the Dropbox folder.

If "Fix permissions" allows the app to fully sync those files, then I'd suggest having a look to see if there are options within the backup service to change the file permissions.

Sorry that I can't be of much further help with this, but don't hesitate to get back to me with any questions.

Thanks!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?