cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files Missing from Deleted Files on dropbox.com

Files Missing from Deleted Files on dropbox.com

Explorer | Level 3

Most of my files are on smart sync, which I believe means those files should appear in dropbox.com, but yesterday I accidentally deleted an image that I can't find anywhere on my computer and it's not showing up in the Deleted Files section?  I read several of the prior posts and replies on this issue and although I did learn some good info I wish I'd known a few weeks ago, I can't find the answer to my question.

8 Replies 8

Re: Files Missing from Deleted Files on dropbox.com

Dropboxer

Hi there @JamiCornish, I hope you're well today!

For any of your files within the local Dropbox folder on your computer, they should be syncing and appearing in your account online. The Smart Sync feature allows you to see your files in the local Dropbox folder without them taking space on your hard drive.

For the missing file, can you let me know if you see any actions related to this file from your Events page here?

Also, can you try doing a search for the file name in your account online?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

No, the file is not in the link and does not appear in a search.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @JamiCornish!

When is the last time you saw this file on Dropbox? 

I'm asking as it sounds like it never made it to our servers, since you can't find it on our website or within your account's events page that is. The events page is the place where all adds (uploads), edits and deletes are normally logged so it should be logged there if it did make it to our servers. 

While we're at it, could you send us the exact status of the desktop app on your computer as shown within your system tray/menu bar

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Have a lovely weekend in the meantime! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I added the file back on July 11th and all of the files are on smart sync.  Everything synced should be in dropbox, correct?

The status is "Up to date."

Dropboxer

If the file was synced and uploaded to your Dropbox account, then there should be an entry in your Events page where the file was added to your account @JamiCornish.

Can you go back to the specific date that you mentioned adding this file to Dropbox in your events page once more and see if you can find and/or restore it from there?

While we're at it, do you remember seeing the green check-mark overlay icon on this file once you copied or moved it to your Dropbox folder? 

Since the app is up to date and you're all synced, could the folder that your missing file was deleted from is selectively un-synced through our selective sync feature (and not via Smart Sync) from this specific computer? 

Keep us posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

I can't find the events folder but when I look at my recent stuff it shows the last modifications were in 2016...Also, since I switched to professional the vast majority of my files are missing.  It used to match the files on my computers.  Now hardly any are there.  I'm getting extremely frustrated.  Everything is smart synced except the stuff on my desktop.

Where are my files?

Explorer | Level 3

The last files appearing in my dropbox online are from 2016 and a few from 2018.  I recently switched to dropbox professional and am still on the free trial but I don't know why that would change it.  I have just about everything on smart sync and it says it's up to date, but when I click on Home and then try to view All Files most of them are missing...

Dropboxer

Hey @JamiCornish, thanks for the additional information and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Do you remember seeing the green checkmark icons on these files?

Could you also send us a screenshot (without any personal details showing) of what the Dropbox icon reads when you hover over it?

Finally, could you check your selective sync settings from your desktop app's Preferences, in case the items you're looking for are there?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?