cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files Opened from Dropbox won't open in Excel because they're "Read-Only"

Files Opened from Dropbox won't open in Excel because they're "Read-Only"

Sloanguyjud
New member | Level 2

Hey, first post here. Unless I'm missing something, it's almost impossible to get single-user support from dropbox, so hopefully someone here can help.

I have a client whose trying to open excel spreadsheets from her Dropbox on MacOS. When she tries to open a file, it basically opens another finder window, asking her to select the file again and "Grant access". When she confirms, an excel error appears, saying: "Excel couldn't open this file because the file format or extension is invalid..." 

We also opened the file in dropbox from a browser, and the broswer-based version of excel opened it, prompted us to "Convert the file from read-only to make edits". It converted the file with no issue, and was able to edit the file in the browser excel with no issue. Then opening the file in the Excel app still did not work. I also tried to copy the file from dropbox to her local desktop, and try to open it there, but dropbox wouldn't allow me to copy it to the desktop.

These are fairly critical files that she created and owns. I'm not sure what changed, and neither is she. Any thoughts?

4 Replies 4

Re: Files Opened from Dropbox won't open in Excel because they're "Read-Only"

Chris_J
Super User

Hello Sloanguyjud

Thanks for reaching out.  This is going to be a challenging problem.  First off, how did your client receive the file?  thru shared folder, via link?

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Sloanguyjud
New member | Level 2

Yeah, I have a feeling this is either going to be a really complex problem, or something simple I'm overlooking.

The user created the files themselves, although I think some may be older .xsl files instead of .xslx . So maybe the old method of making a file read-only is causing trouble, not sure.

Chris_J
Super User

You might have her rename the extension to the other type and see if the same issue

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Sloanguyjud
New member | Level 2

I may have to give that a shot next time I work with the user, although when the browser-based dropbox/excel converted the file so the user could edit it, it changed it from xsl to xslx, and the issue continued with the desktop excel app. I know it's not quite the same thing, but there is something to it and I'll give it a shot.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sloanguyjud New member | Level 2
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?