cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files Were Lost in Transfer?

Files Were Lost in Transfer?

Ornithocowian
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, this post is essentially the title. I upgraded to a better computer, (both computers are Windows 10) and wanted to move a world between the old computer and the new one. So I go into file explorer on the old one, copy the world's folder, and paste it into Dropbox. I go onto the new computer, open up Dropbox, and copy-paste the world's folder from Dropbox into the Minecraft saves folder. So far so good, but when I open up Minecraft and click on singleplayer worlds, the world's not there.

So I open up the folder in File Explorer and open it up on the new computer, but there's a problem: the level.dat, level.dat old, the session, and the icon were lost in transfer - all files that weren't in a folder.

Now the problems start multiplying. When I open up Dropbox, the non-foldered files were gone as well. I open up the old computer, Dropbox refuses to open. This has happened before, though, so I go to uninstall Dropbox and it gets stuck at 2/3's of the way there. I wait 10 minutes, reboot my computer, and try again. Dropbox still doesn't open and still gets stuck 2/3's of the way there.

So I open up the browser edition of Dropbox, it claims the non-foldered files aren't there. Panicking slightly, I opened up Dropbox's File Explorer folder and it claims that the non-foldered files are there. Now I'm panicking and I plan to post all this to the Minecraft forum as well. Is there anything I can do? Please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files Were Lost in Transfer?

Jay
Dropboxer
It sounds like your Dropbox account might be in a locked state, if your Business trial expired.

You can follow these steps to disband the team, to return to a personal account, which will allow it to sync again.

Regarding the other files, I'm happy to hear you are able to transfer them to your new computer.

If you need any further assistance in future, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Ornithocowian, thanks for posting on the Community!

Are the files still on the old computer in order to transfer from there again?

When you said you pasted it into Dropbox, do you mean into the Dropbox folder, so that it would sync to the site itself? Have you tried manually uploading files directly to the Dropbox site?

If there are any missing files, are they visible on the deleted files page?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ornithocowian
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

There's nothing in the deleted files that wasn't meant to be deleted. The files are still on the old computer, but because I accidentally signed up for the Dropbox Business free trial and forgot to cancel, it's not allowing me to upload files via the browser-based dropbox, and Dropbox still won't open on the old computer, I'm unable to reupload anything. Thanks for the help!

Ornithocowian
Explorer | Level 3

Oh, and I've been informed via the other forum I've posted this to that the 4 missing files are small enough to be sent by email. No further help will be needed, but if you want to pursue this question, I'd be happy to help you.

Jay
Dropboxer
It sounds like your Dropbox account might be in a locked state, if your Business trial expired.

You can follow these steps to disband the team, to return to a personal account, which will allow it to sync again.

Regarding the other files, I'm happy to hear you are able to transfer them to your new computer.

If you need any further assistance in future, please let me know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Ornithocowian
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much for all your help! You're a real lifesaver.

Jay
Dropboxer
Not a problem, @Ornithocowian, enjoy avoiding Creepers and building your Minecraft world!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?