cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files are missing from my computer and site

Files are missing from my computer and site

Explorer | Level 3

I have a couple of Folders in Dropbox that are missing files.  They are not online or on my hard drive.  I was syncing these folders to my hard drive.  Is there any way of recovering these files?

8 Replies 8

Re: Files lost

Dropboxer

Hi @RobMartinelli, thanks for joining the Community!

Are the files visible and recoverable from this page on your account?

Do you see any recent events showing the deletion of the file, or any other movement?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Are the files visible and recoverable from this page on your account?  The files are not visible.

Do you see any recent events showing the deletion of the file, or any other movement?  I did not.

Let me know.  Thanks.

Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that, @RobMartinelli.

Do you remember when you last saw these files in your Dropbox account?

From what you mentioned, you're syncing the files from Dropbox to your computer.

Were they originally uploaded by you from another device, or are they maybe shared files?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Do you remember when you last saw these files in your Dropbox account?  I use these files once or twice per month so it had to be in the last 30 or 60 days.

From what you mentioned, you're syncing the files from Dropbox to your computer.   There were two folders in dropbox that contained these files.  They were both synced to my hard drive.  The folders in dropbox and on my local drive still contain the 2018 and prior years version of these files.  2019 and 2020 are missing.   There is a third folder that I followed the same procedure with these files for another division.  Those files are intact.

Were they originally uploaded by you from another device, or are they maybe shared files?  The files were saved to my hard drive and synced to dropbox.  They were uploaded from another computer I had.  That computer wouldn't start one morning and is at ASUS for repair.  I noticed the problem when I went to pull the files down on a new computer I am using.   One of the folders is not shared and one is shared.

Dropboxer

Thanks for all the additional details there @RobMartinelli!

Since you mentioned that one of the missing folders was shared, can you let me know if you see this folder within the Shared tab here?

Also, after adding the folders from the other computer, did the app fully sync the files and show it was up to date before you had to send it for repair?

If you're not sure, you can check the Events page back to the date that the folders were added (or you last used them), as it shows up to the last 6 months of activity.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Since you mentioned that one of the missing folders was shared, can you let me know if you see this folder within the Shared tab here?

I do not see the folder here.

Also, after adding the folders from the other computer, did the app fully sync the files and show it was up to date before you had to send it for repair? The computer wouldn't turn on so I wasn't able to look at anything before I sent it for repair.

If you're not sure, you can check Events page back to the date that the folders were added (or you last used them), as it shows up to the last 6 months of activity.   I checked the Events page.  One of the folders has an event on 1-5-21 and nothing before 6-25-18 and the other has 1-4-21 and nothing before 6-26-18.  Seems like there is a big gap that is missing.

Dropboxer

We'd need to have a better look into this via our Support channel, so we can look into some account specific info to assist further, @RobMartinelli.

I've just sent a brief message to the email linked with your profile here, so please check your inbox and get back to me there, when you have the time - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

I'll check.  Thanks.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?