cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files are not being synced to another computer, and are instead deleted from the original

Files are not being synced to another computer, and are instead deleted from the original

Explorer | Level 4

I have Dropbox on multiple computers and devices. I have had the following issues a couple of times recently:

I have scanned in documents on a computer at home, then go to work and find that computer was not on, once that computer is turned back on and it syncs anything that was scanned in on the computer at home are gone. It appears the computer at work is what Dropbox is seeing as the primary source for all the other computers and devices? How does this make sense, why wouldn't it sync based on the most recent activity? I did notice the following setting at the computer at work:

Smart Sync - Local is the option picked. If the computer at home is set to Online only would this cause the above issue? If so what is the fix? Do I make the work computer online only? 

Thank you to anyone willing to help with this issue and I hope I have made the issue clear.

3 Replies 3

Re: Files are not being synced to another computer, and are instead deleted from the original

Dropboxer

Hi @trudeip, thanks for joining the Community!

Does this only occur when signing into your work computer, or any of the other devices you use?

Are the files in a shared folder or a private folder?

Any info you can provide would be great!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Files are not being synced to another computer, and are instead deleted from the original

New member | Level 2

Wondering if anything came of this as it appears i'm having the same problems. Local Files on Desktop, Online only on MacBook Pro. If changes are made on MBP, about 8 hours later, the changes seem to delete and have to restore on DB to get the files back.

Explorer | Level 4

Unfortunately no one ever help me solve the problem. I am still having the problem - I have tried to only put new files on my work computer since it seems to see itself as the main source of information, which makes no sense at all. Everything should sync but if this cumputer restarts any changes made on other computers or devices will be overwritten by my work computer. I use excel and changes made to those files stay but any files I have deleted at home will reapear or if I have scanned files those sometimes disapear. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?