cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files are there, but all documents have disappeared.

Files are there, but all documents have disappeared.

tricia3
Explorer | Level 3

I was getting notices from dropbox saying that my storage was getting full (sept 2020) and the last email I got said, "Adding one more file could fill up your account—and keep you from syncing and accessing your files when you need them."  ( I have Dropbox basic) So I am assuming this is exactly what happened.  I see my folders, BUT the documents within the folders are all gone.  I tried logging in through the app and the website, and the documents are missing both places.  I couldn't find any other information about how to retrieve these documents, so I paid extra to have additional storage space hoping that I would then be able to access the documents, but they are still missing.  Now what????  Are they forever lost????  Why can I see all the folders, but the documents within them are (so far) irretrievable? How can I get these back???

9 Replies 9

Re: Files are there, but all documents have disappeared.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @tricia3 

What is www.dropbox.com/events saying? 

As per the emails if syncing stopped, it stops. So, once your account is full (in Sept. 2020) no more files would have uploaded to Dropbox, so, upgrading now wont fix that.... they are not on Dropbox as there was no syncing. 

BUT, if you are using the same computer as you were once syncing starts again it should just click in and start uploading everything for you from where it left off

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

tricia3
Explorer | Level 3
I have been using the same devices all along. I thought perhaps it was my iPhone or my MacBook Pro, so that’s why I tried logging into my account from the web, but nothing changed. It’s like they all vanished. So it seems like it would be some sort of a syncing issue since the files are all still there, they’re just empty. 😞

tricia3
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Mark, 

Sorry, I need to clarify with my terms.  So my *folders* are empty-- the files have disappeared.  I looked in my event.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  What exactly should I be looking for?  There was a folder that I had deleted (which contained a bunch of files), but I wanted to delete it.  It also shows that I added some files to dropbox.  

(Empty) folder history shows deleted files, but I don't know how to restore

tricia3
Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox basic.  I have a Mac and a little over a month ago my password to sign into my computer wouldn't work.  So I called Apple and they had me uninstall and reinstall my OS.  Anyway, as soon as I did that everything seemed to be restored (or so it seemed).  Anyway, I went to access dropbox and my computer said that dropbox was no longer supported by the latest OS version, so I logged into dropbox on the web.  The files within my folders had disappeared!  I looked on the app on my phone (which still seemed to work), but again, just empty folders.  I checked in Events and it said that I had deleted some files (which I did intentionally do--and recognized those intentional deletions.)  But other than the intentional deletions, I didn't see anything else out of the ordinary.  Then I went into an empty folder, and clicked on "Folder History" and THERE I saw all the documents that were deleted (the day my OS crapped out).  *Every* single document has a date of Feb 1st as the day they were deleted, but I don't know how to retrieve or restore these files.  I feel like I am so close and they are "there" in some capacity.  Please help!  How do I retrieve/restore?  I tried right clicking (nothing was an option) and I tried dragging the files into the main part of the folder, that wouldn't work either.  What can I do???  

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @tricia3 I hope you're having a great Friday! 

Dropbox keeps a copy of files for 30 days after they are deleted. 

However, based on the information you provided, it seems that those files never synced to Dropbox due to the space issue on your device.

Can you check on your Mac and let me know what you find? 

Keep me posted.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
? Still stuck? Ask me a question!
? Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tricia3
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Lori,

Well, the app for dropbox  (I hope I am using the right term.  It used to be little picture of the dropbox app at the top of the computer) on my Mac won't work as my OS gave me a message that the new OS doesn't support the current version of dropbox??  I didn't question that, but maybe I should.  So, other than going on the web, or using the dropbox app on my phone, I don't know how else to try and access those documents?  Should I try to reinstall dropbox? or uninstall/reinstall?  would that make matters worse?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Just to clarify @tricia3, when you reinstalled the OS on your computer, did you erase all the data on your computer?

Did you make a backup of your files, perhaps with Time Machine or on an external drive, before reinstalling the OS.

Since the files were deleted outside of the 30 day history window of your Dropbox account, we wouldn't be able to restore them through Dropbox, so we'll need to look into restoring them locally on your computer.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tricia3
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Lori,

Right before we did took off and re-installed the OS, the apple guy did ask me if I had a time machine or some type of external hard drive to back up my stuff.  I told him everything was in the cloud now, so I should be alright.  and I didn't think that dropbox would be an issue since all docs are in the dropbox "cloud" since they can be accessible via the web.  So I told him that we could just go for it and I thought we'd be ok.  Apparently that was not the case.  But I still can't help but wonder, how is it that the files got deleted, but not the folders?  wouldn't *everything* been deleted?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Before you reinstalled, did you disconnect the Dropbox app to stop it from syncing, either by quitting the app or unlinking/uninstalling, @tricia3?

If the app was running when the process started, it could be that some of the deletions of the files locally were synced to your Dropbox account.

Could this be what happened?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?