cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files aren't syncing from the computer to the site

Files aren't syncing from the computer to the site

Explorer | Level 3

I am working another an Excel file on my iPad. I am also working on the same file on my desktop in WPS Office. I save the file in .xlsx format. The changes on the iPad and desktop don't seem to reflect the changes on the other device. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Re: Syncing files

Dropboxer

Hi @mlkpied, thanks for taking the time to message us!

Could you test to see if the file when edited via the mobile app are syncing to the Dropbox site? Likewise when editing the file in the Dropbox folder on your computer?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how to do what you're asking? When I reopen the file on my iPad it reflects the changes I made on that device and when I open the file on my desktop it has the last version of the file I made there. I suspect there should be a cloud based version of the file that would reflect the latest version but it doesn't seem to do that so I'm confused. Is the logic correct and how do I make this happen? Thanks.

Dropboxer

When you edit files in either location, they will always sync to the site here, which then syncs the changes to all other devices. 

It can take time if the files syncing are large, so changes might not appear instantly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the help. It wasn't a large file but the next day they were in sync. Not sure why it took so long but now I'll just wait. One thought is I may have had the file open on my desktop when I made changes on my iPad. This used to be called "the one empty airline seat" when working on mainframe databases, I'm really old. Do you know How does Dropbox addresses the problem? Just curious.

Dropboxer

If the file is open on another device, then the changes might not sync down since the file is locked and technically active, until it is closed completely.

I'm glad to hear that the files are now in sync with one another. If you need any further assistance, please let me know.

Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?